my ipad GPS solution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bought the premium accuterra maps, though the 3 layer maps are no longer avail as of 2013, only an updated single layer. An improvement over regular maps yes, but for $20 add on i expected the 3 layer.

"As of 2013, the Accuterra Map Source is becoming a single layer source, for greater performance and ease of use. It will also have full data for the continental US up to zoom level 16, which is a plus. It has roads and trails as a separate layer that can be used on top of other maps, as discussed in the next section on hybrid options. "

So now you can add trails ontop of the other viewing options incl. an aerial map, which can be helpful for some

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just ordered the dual xgps150 for my I pad 2 and the ram mount. Also got the 6 inch extension. Used the truck gps last year. Was ok for most of the trip. Just lost it on some of the trails.

I was considering doing pretty much this exact setup, only using the XGPS160.

There is a review on Amazon that says the xgps150 will not work with MotionX for iPad - that the app will not install on an iPad without an internal antenna. Have you used yours yet?

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A true GPS is the best. Don't rely upon A-GPS out in the boonies. Learn from experience at last years SnoBall. IPad, Android phones, and Nexus were all but useless without cell service. Even when there was service it had hard time triangulating position to be useful.

-Greg (aka Squatting Dog)

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was considering doing pretty much this exact setup, only using the XGPS160.

There is a review on Amazon that says the xgps150 will not work with MotionX for iPad - that the app will not install on an iPad without an internal antenna. Have you used yours yet?

yes I did use it around my area here. it did work.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I suspect the reason for failure does not lie with the antenna. These things are used by pilots for navigation and reviewed favorably.