Modifying my stock lower/AFE intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's in addition to the stock snorkel, just a little extra something. I had noticed that the AFE filter takes up a good amount of space in the airbox and almost creates a, hesitant to say, barrier from the stock snorkel. I want to make use of the larger surface area of the larger filter and get more air moving around, so this little mod allows air to move in on the underside of the filter. The lid I want to make for the AFE is gonna sit a bit taller as well....if I were to just put something across the top now, it would practically touch part of the filter and make a small area for air to move around the top of it, so I want to lift that area and allow more air space.

There's also a few other things going on here too. One, that anyone can do, is to just remove the rubber flap that sits between the headlight and condensor, where I have the ram air. That will allow more air to flow behind the headlight and into the fender and snorkel. Another thing believe it or not is due to the ADD bumper....because the stock one is not there covering the area, it's now just a giant scoop up into the fender now.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about....
Now I know about water splashing around and working it's way up in there so, I don't know that this would be an option for everyone. But I live in AZ so I don't worry about that too much, lol. Are all of these things gonna give me 20hp, doubt it but, it's all just to help airflow to the filter which is always a good thing.

I like it... Great idea...

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good! Even though it might be on the redneck side, its propably more functional (and thought out) then what 95% of the "cai" are doing for engines out on the market.

19-Kilo

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that looks like what the Ford Excursion uses in its air box (a ram air opening in the front grill that moves air to the air box.) Nice idea.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I used a 1.25 inch flex radiator hose and accomplished the same thing. Took out the air filter, used a hole saw to make the proper sized hole in the front, lower, inboard corner of the factory air box, and shoved the hose into the hole from the front. Friction between the hose and the airbox, and between the hose and the radiator and headlight housing keeps it in place, but I added a big zip tie for good measure. I left the rubber shield in place to make sure water doesn't get driven up into the air box via the new air hose.

OP
OP
SOCOMech

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I left the rubber shield in place to make sure water doesn't get driven up into the air box via the new air hose.

A good idea if you plan on ever encountering water obstacles. I don't really worry about it too much here in the desert, lol.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Arent these types of openings bad? I would think having the wind pounding in at random amounts would cause all sorts of different performance issues. I am no expert, but I do remember something about CAI's and wind irregularities causing minor issues (back when I looked into this with my Colorado). Thoughts?