Might have just broke 4wd, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maswhite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine got his rig stuck at the bottom of a ravine and needed a pull out. I put the truck in 4 low and was pulling in reverse. I heard an unusually loud pop and now neither 4 high or low work under load. Anyone have any ideas what I broke?

sent using sorcery and black magic

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check your front cv axles were they connect to te spindle you might have broken the IWE plastic ****** gear let Greg explain it haha he know all too well about this little issue. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system!

OP
OP
maswhite

maswhite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your front cv axles were they connect to te spindle you might have broken the IWE plastic ****** gear let Greg explain it haha he know all too well about this little issue. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system!

Is this a common occurrence? I never really use 4 low.

OP
OP
maswhite

maswhite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on whats going on. I can turn my driver side axle by hand when its in park and in 2wd. The passenger side won't turn. When I turn the driver side I can hear and see something clunking around in the cv joint.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is the boot on the cv axle torn at all? It sounds like you might have destroyed the cup in the spindle hub that holds the cv axle in the hub I have the dealership look at it if its under warranty it should be covered

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Yea it's a common accurence with fords 4wd system it's not just raptors that have the problem f-150's have them too

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine goes into the dealer for the same issue, but occured while in 4H.

Probably wont know more till you take yours in to report back