Method vs Factory forged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iumbastu

Reaction score
Yeah that sounds right. This is probably the only off the shelf cast wheel I'd run (since it's hubcentric on the G1). When I get around to building the suspension to match my engine (and need the additional offset to clear it) I'll probably have to go this route if I don't want to pop the money for a real set of forged beadlocks (Weld or Raceline).

Also, I'm sure you guys all know this, but if you're concerned about rotational weight also be very careful about tire selection. There's a tire weight thread somewhere over on the Gen 1 forum. Think it's a sticky.

Hey so relatively newbie question. As I consider offset and wheel size, being thoughtful to how close the tire is to the inside of the fender and how far out the wheel will extend (paint chipping and impact to fender at full compression primary concerns.) where does backspacing come into play...? I see backspacing from 4.75 to 5.5" depending on wheel, 17 or 18" etc. I'm shopping for either a 17 or 18 wheel but not sure as I try to stay close to stock (offset no less than +0)

Should I exclude any wheels with backspacing outside a range of x and y...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey so relatively newbie question. As I consider offset and wheel size, being thoughtful to how close the tire is to the inside of the fender and how far out the wheel will extend (paint chipping and impact to fender at full compression primary concerns.) where does backspacing come into play...? I see backspacing from 4.75 to 5.5" depending on wheel, 17 or 18" etc. I'm shopping for either a 17 or 18 wheel but not sure as I try to stay close to stock (offset no less than +0)

Should I exclude any wheels with backspacing outside a range of x and y...?

If it's a Gen 2 I don't know the specs.

If it's a Gen 1 the stock wheels are 8.5" wide ~34mm offset and ~6" backspace. Typically, you would be fine with anything down to 0 offset, which at 8.5" is ~4.75" of backspacing. Beyond that your wheels will be sticking out too far, which will look stupid and create clearance issues.

I prefer the stock offset, which has the most clearance and the best turning radius. In my opinion, the only time to go with less offset is when you need to (for example, when you are running aftermarket knuckles and/or upper control arms with larger uniballs). At that point you have no choice and need the additional clearance.

iumbastu

Reaction score
If it's a Gen 2 I don't know the specs.

If it's a Gen 1 the stock wheels are 8.5" wide ~34mm offset and ~6" backspace. Typically, you would be fine with anything down to 0 offset, which at 8.5" is ~4.75" of backspacing. Beyond that your wheels will be sticking out too far, which will look stupid and create clearance issues.

I prefer the stock offset, which has the most clearance and the best turning radius. In my opinion, the only time to go with less offset is when you need to (for example, when you are running aftermarket knuckles and/or upper control arms with larger uniballs). At that point you have no choice and need the additional clearance.

Excellent advice and something that's probably applicable for both G1 and G2.

I haven't updated my profile photo yet, but my question is for my new G2 Raptor. Sad to see the G1 go as she served me well. This might be better addressed on the aftermarket wheel thread but figured I'd post here in the G2 enviro...

Truck-in-Muck

Reaction score
Gen II beadlocks are 36.8 lbs each, without center cap or tpms installed. I am in the process of swapping the stock cast wheels for the OEM beadlocks, so it was a convenient time to throw one on a scale.

Thanks for the info. Did you happen to also weigh the stock wheels?

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm curious now if the gen 2 beadlocks are forged? Ford is calling them forged

They are. Just a bunch of unnecessary aluminum in the design. They might have a higher load rating to. The flange and the ring add a fair amount of weight.

OP
OP
D

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm likely going to Method Roosts in 18" or 20" offering in the fall. Right now I'm happy as she sits.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of ugly aftermarket wheels out there and most of them are black. I know Black Wheels Matter, but damn, how about some color.

The quality of the stock cast wheels appear to be pretty good. Might have to keep them until the stock tires wear down before throwing more money at this thing.