Long Trip Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can hit all kind of places with a trip that far spread.

When do you hit the road?

Also, a guy posted on here a trip that he does once or twice a year between the states and Alaska. You should see if you can find it for some ideas.

Thank you for your service.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Baja Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a 2010 Raptor with the 6.2, At this moment it has 27,000 miles on it. Here in a few months I will be leaving Anchorage Alaska and doing a cross country move and fun road trip. Looking to put around 6 to 8 thousand miles within a 30 day period. I will not be towing anything and will have just a few bags or so. My question to all of you is What should I do to the truck before I take this trip? Any feedback would be awesome and I would be grateful.

Don't take the truck up there! The inside of the fender wells will get all dirty the paint will get blasted off your running board mounts. Rent a Ford edge and beat it like a red headed step child.
Basic high school geometry tells us the shortest distance between two points is a RENT-A-CAR

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Both Shell and Sinclair have gas discount programs. Shell has 3 cents off with a card you scan before you use your credit card. With Sinclair you use their credit card to get the discount.

Good advice here. An oil and filter change for sure before you leave, and again after the trip is over. Take an air filter with you and change it en route at the regular interval. Check brake fluid and coolant levels. If a significant amount of this trip is going to be in 4WD, you might consider changing the gear oil in the front and rear axles. Your transfer case fluid should be OK at only 27K miles. Check all tire pressures, including the spare.

Suggestions for things to take with you: a full set of both metric and SAE tools, fire extinguisher, tow rope, several flashlights, a box of highway flares, and both ignition keys.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also carry (in addition to @Ruger's list) tire pressure gauge, tire repair kit, small compressor, wheel chock, some tie downs and bungees, a good knife, a small first aid kit, high viz vest, spare water proof jacket, cordless impact wrench and sockets for truck lugs and trailer lugs (normally towing long distances), odb-II reader (phone/tablet/laptop + bluetooth odb-II scanner and software), spare phone charger (car 12V), a couple of small flash lights and spare batteries, some water and food (granola bars/jerky).

For tool kit this fits perfectly under my back passenger side seat: 130 Piece Tool Kit with Case

For flashlights I also carry a couple of these as they have hooks and magnetic backs which make them great for working on things in tight spaces with little light:

Portable Worklight & Flashlight - 27 LED Light Flashlight

Above all else a good attitude, not rushing and frequent rest stops will hopefully get you from end to end without having to use any of the items on these lists.

coder

Reaction score
Because its a 5 year old truck I would change all fluids, filters, and serpentine belt, and make sure the tires and spare are in good shape. And stay away from cheap off brand gas there can have a lot of contaminants in it and cause problems.

Last edited:

jrb596

Reaction score
Here in Virginia if you go out and get a oil change done, they will give you 6 months AAA coverage for nothing. better to have AAA then not. :)

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the miles u have on the truck are pretty low so i wouldnt get too crazy but oil change before and after with some good sythetic and a quality filter not some cheap generic stuff. check all fluids, belts, and air pressure in tires including the spare and maybe bring some extra fluids. then if u ever plan on doing an aftermarket rear diff cover now may be a good time to do it. it will keep the rear cooler during those long runs. same can be said about a power steering resevior. bug screen is a great idea. a small 12v air compressor and a tire plug kit, recovery gear (atleast a tow strap and d rings). wash the radiator off real good. i would also wash and wax the truck with a good sealer and a good wax over it to help with all the bugs. that should help with cleaning the bugs off afterward and font forget a good glass sealer for the windshield