Lights Block Air Flow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I remember there was a discussion at one point and time in this forum about the theory that putting lights in front of the FMIC would prevent air flow. What’s the general consensus on that now? Looking to swap out front bumpers from ADD to SVC and add LP9s on top but may reconsider the LP9s if it’s going to restrict air through the FMIC.

P.S moderators, if you read this, please allow access to post in the sale section. Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
A few users have reported overheating issues in some conditions with lights + FMIC, which does make some sense. I think one guy was towing, so that would be a perfect storm of bad conditions. The lights, depending on what and how many, will obstruct some airflow over the radiator, but by itself probably not enough to cause overheating. Now, add in a FMIC and you have somewhat obstructed airflow to the IC which does what? Cools the hotter than ambient intake charge, so the already slightly obstructed air in front of the IC exits at hotter than ambient at less volume and velocity than expected, enters the radiator. Now, add a much higher load, like towing, where you’re going much slower, much less air flow to start with and the engine is loaded much higher.

The thing is that even with users commenting on their success or failure using the FMIC, you don’t really know their use case that well and you won’t know how relatable it is to your use case. You might get comments from starbucks parking lot heroes to full send sand blitzers and everywhere in between. So just consider the use case well.

Retired in TN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heat from lights would affect air inlet temp for the Intercooler. Blocking airflow would also degrade IC performance. Consider a high mount IC to move it away from lower lights.

OP
OP
V6Raptor

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following up on my post after having my bumper swapped and four LP9s added on top, in front of the grill/intercooler.

I haven’t driven through high temps yet but so far, not seeing any issues of overheating/loss of power/etc.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Following up on my post after having my bumper swapped and four LP9s added on top, in front of the grill/intercooler.

I haven’t driven through high temps yet but so far, not seeing any issues of overheating/loss of power/etc.
Is your truck a 2019+? If so, you can monitor manifold charge temp in the Instrument Cluster.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In all honesty, I do believe anything in front of the FMIC will restrict airflow. A test should be performed to pull this myth up to a fact.

I experienced this on motorcycles first hand, plastic bags blocking and etc. Any lights should go in the fog light area or up top on a rack.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In all honesty, I do believe anything in front of the FMIC will restrict airflow. A test should be performed to pull this myth up to a fact.

I experienced this on motorcycles first hand, plastic bags blocking and etc. Any lights should go in the fog light area or up top on a rack.
On Gen 1 F-150 EcoBoost (11-16), the license plate bracket was offset to one side of the front bumper to allow full airflow to the charge air cooler. There were instances where the incorrect bumper with a center mount bracket was installed after an accident, etc and the plate blocked the CAC. Under a load, such as pulling a hill in high temps, towing, etc. the engine would sustain internal damage, which of course wasn’t covered under warranty.

Adding any blockage in front of the CAC on these trucks is going to be detrimental to performance, to what extent I don’t know.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On Gen 1 F-150 EcoBoost (11-16), the license plate bracket was offset to one side of the front bumper to allow full airflow to the charge air cooler. There were instances where the incorrect bumper with a center mount bracket was installed after an accident, etc and the plate blocked the CAC. Under a load, such as pulling a hill in high temps, towing, etc. the engine would sustain internal damage, which of course wasn’t covered under warranty.

Adding any blockage in front of the CAC on these trucks is going to be detrimental to performance, to what extent I don’t know.
You heard the man.