Leer Bed Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here use one of the Leer HF bed covers? I’ve been researching and I think that’s the way I’m going to go. I like the lack of drain tubes, and the pinch-to-release seems a little more secure than the Backflip and Lomax that just require a rearward pull.

Was hoping to figure out the difference between the HF350 and HF650 before ordering, and find out if any supporting vendors stock them.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed it this morning, and, so far, I’m happy with the product. It seems like it was pretty well thought out, especially with regard to the water management. It should be at least as water resistant as most of the quality ones, if not more so (pics below).

Unfortunately, there wasn’t nearly as much info about this one as there was about the more popular Bakflips and Lomax. There was one good thread on an F150 forum, and a couple incomplete ones on Tacoma forums. I had to dig a bit for information, so I’m going to post a bunch of pics here for the tribal knowledge base.

When I was trying to decide which cover to go with, I of course read reviews, but I also read the instruction manuals to get a better idea of how they were designed. There were two features that steered me toward the Leer over the Bakflip and Lomax (the one I was originally leaning toward).

First, the latches on the Bakflip and Lomax are cords that you pull in one direction (any direction) to release. There was plenty of info on how to quickly, and discreetly, get into either with a coat hanger. The Leer latches require two tabs to be pinched together, and the gate-most latch set sits behind a pretty substantial rubber seal, so breaking in would require at least a little more commitment on the part of thieves.

Second, the mount incorporates safety straps to keep the whole thing from flying off in the event that the mounting hardware comes loose. A minor point, and likely one I’ll never need, but I imagine that losing the cover could ruin a road trip, and worse if it flew off and caused an accident behind me.

Here’s the finished install. It sits about 3/4” proud of the rails. That seems to be kind of an either-or debate. Some don’t like the modified profile, others prefer the taller enclosed box. I’m agnostic. Standing proud doesn’t bother me, and I suppose the extra box height is a plus.
B0689D11-D934-411F-A701-D70662CD2630.jpeg

The logos are a bit much- they made sure that you could see the logo in any driving position.
5FED23B0-4347-48CE-BB10-82A270CC0D3F.jpeg

You can drive with it in either (a) fully closed, (b) 2/3 open, or (c) fully open. It’s laid out pretty much like the Bakflip there; straps for the mostly-open position, and prop rods for the fully open position. I think you could rig longer straps to use it in the 1/3-open position, if that were really important.
77F9B32F-56B0-4E55-8D07-2C59A5A31819.jpeg

Fully open, you can see the safety straps. I’m not sure why other makers don’t incorporate this feature.

With three sections, the 5.5’ model comes almost to the top of the cab. The four-section Bakflip or Leer HF650 would probably at least leave the brake light uncovered, but I suppose that’s a pretty minor difference.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This shows the gate-most latch, and the rubber seal for the tailgate. Once it is pressed up against a locked tailgate, it would take a bit of effort to get through to the latch, and then some serious dexterity to pinch the latch tabs.

92E8E783-EF8C-4B39-8FC0-2D35606A50E8.jpeg

Here’s a closeup of the tailgate seal. The tailgate rests against the multi-ribbed section; below one rib, and behind the other one. I haven’t figured out the long flap yet, other than that it might be to route the errant drop out to the corners.

FD8ABB4A-1502-410A-AF9C-71C2FC47343F.jpeg

Here’s the tailgate positioned in the seal.

15F17DCC-7B18-4710-8B20-543CF326B9A3.jpeg

This shows the rail and seal profile. This is the gate end, with the cover closed. There is a rubber seal between the rail and bed cap. The rail is extruded with a lip toward the inside, and a valley toward the outside. Water would have to run uphill to make it over the rail, and the cover has a gasket that fills the valley to minimize how much water makes it there, and there’s a loose gasket outboard from that to minimize how much makes it to the valley. Only time will tell how water resistant it is, but it looks like they at least thought that aspect through.
BF9C39B2-0E34-4F64-B543-33E04BD8C944.jpeg

It’s hard to find good texture shots of any of these, so I’m including this just for anyone looking later. I’m not wild about the panel texture/finish, but it seems a minor point. The texture is probably there to hide imperfections and knock down the shine, but it’s still a little shinier than I’d like. I figure, if I decide I really don’t like it, I can always bed-liner it, or put vinyl on it.

025F474D-E845-4E22-BB68-7077EC90715E.jpeg

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up. I do prefer this latch design to the cable of the backflip. Ultimately the best latches are only going to keep honest people honest, a pry bar or large screwdriver could probably break into any of these covers.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have to check this out, I’m going to have a short term need for one in the near future, and I do appreciate the write up and your explanation why you chose what you did.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It got the rain test yesterday, and did OK. The rain was pretty stout, high wind, and lasted about an hour. There were no leaks along the side, or at the front.

There were two small spots at the corners near the tailgate, and one spot in the middle that looked like maybe a tablespoon of water ran from the tailgate forward toward the cab. I opened it right after the rain ended, so I don’t know if the water got in during the rain, or when I opened the wet tailgate. Either way, I can live with it. My suitcase certainly wouldn’t have gotten soaked.

I also took it out on the highway, and got it up to 100+ for a couple miles. No noise or movement. I’ll put another 25-50 miles on it and check the mounting hardware to see if any of it came loose.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Ultimately the best latches are only going to keep honest people honest, a pry bar or large screwdriver could probably break into any of these covers.

For sure. Given that the cab can be broken into with a set of channel-locks twisting the exposed tumbler, I did put Jimmy Jammers in all four doors. Still someone could break the window, or reef the door open with a crowbar.

I looked this assembly over, after installing it, and I’m pretty sure I could get into it with a long screwdriver and a partner to hold up the defeated side while I did the other. It would be considerably more difficult than the Bakflip with its cord and seal that lays on the tailgate.

OP
OP
GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon. Had enough Hilton Honors points to pay for it.

Fittingly, I mostly wanted it to protect stuff when I’m in one of their parking lots.

Thanks Hilton!