LED's - LEGAL in Virginia ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You just need to cover them during inspection and that's it. Please note led lights are for off road only and if you ever get caught having them on while driving on road, you will prob get a hefty ticket.

OP
OP
GTC-NOVA

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here'sthe VA law on the subject...

§ 46.2-1020. Other permissible lights.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal light

Thank you for this - really appreciate!
Based on above paragraph - does this mean that you can have and use two fog lights, two daytime running lights AND two side lights on public roads - even if not installed by the manufacturer?

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

my truck failed inspection last year because of the 20" Rigid light bar, and 2 sets of Duallys. I had to buy the Rigid light covers, go back to the inspection station to pass inspection. Then I took the covers off and stored somewhere. I'll have to find them again before my inspection is due in December.

Damn...this is so much BS...can not believe it! BTW...I am just about 10 miles from you south.

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

You just need to cover them during inspection and that's it. Please note led lights are for off road only and if you ever get caught having them on while driving on road, you will prob get a hefty ticket.

Agree and makes sense. Couple days back I saw a Black Raptor SCREW heading south on Rt.28 and he had the LED bar (20") on. You can see him from at least a mile away, in spite of traffic. I bet all he wanted is to use something he paid a lot for...!

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for this - really appreciate!
Based on above paragraph - does this mean that you can have and use two fog lights, two daytime running lights AND two side lights on public roads - even if not installed by the manufacturer?

Yes but they must have DOT approval markings (usually in the lens) on them or they will fail.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
During state inspection, an inspector will not check to see if a light has a DOT approval markings. If auxiliary lights are uncovered then the only thing they will test if that when the high beams are on then the auxiliary lights must turn off.

You can avoid all of this just by having a cover over your lights.

Yes but they must have DOT approval markings (usually in the lens) on them or they will fail.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't VA known as the home of Toyota Pruis.... Just Sayin....

Too funny. You're right. You see them every where around here. Pieces of shit....Our landfills are going to be filled with those batteries in about ten years

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had to go back to the dealer today as I was told I would fail the inspection. They must be covered with the manufacturer's covers, or have the wiring and bulbs removed, or removed from the vehicle completely. I had to remove them as I have no covers.