LED's - LEGAL in Virginia ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I am in the process of installing some LED's today I asked the closest FORD dealer if they would install that for me. The response was: "be carefull about installing LED's as in Virginia they may be illegal. You should inquire with the State Police before doing any lightning modification, and if you still do it you may jeoperdize the warranty". What ^%*#...???!!!

All I want is to install a 13.5 inch LED bar in front under the license plate (where the small grille is) and maybe some 4.5 inch duallies in the left and right opening of the bumper. Nothing extravagant and obnoxious!. Anybody can give me some heads-up on this? Appreciate.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
All of the LED lights I typically see installed on this forum are NOT DOT legal and I wouldn't use them on the street.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here'sthe VA law on the subject...

§ 46.2-1020. Other permissible lights.

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with fog lights, not more than two of which can be illuminated at any time, one or two auxiliary driving lights if so equipped by the manufacturer, two daytime running lights, two side lights of not more than six candlepower, an interior light or lights of not more than 15 candlepower each, and signal lights.

The provision of this section limiting interior lights to no more than 15 candlepower shall not apply to (i) alternating, blinking, or flashing colored emergency lights mounted inside law-enforcement motor vehicles which may otherwise legally be equipped with such colored emergency lights, or (ii) flashing shielded red or red and white lights, authorized under § 46.2-1024, mounted inside vehicles owned or used by (a) members of volunteer fire companies or volunteer rescue squads, (b) professional fire fighters, or (c) police chaplains. A vehicle equipped with lighting devices as authorized in this section shall be operated by a police chaplain only if he has successfully completed a course of training in the safe operation of a motor vehicle under emergency conditions and a certificate attesting to such successful completion, signed by the course instructor, is carried at all times in the vehicle when operated by the police chaplain to whom the certificate applies.

Unless such lighting device is both covered and unlit, no motor vehicle which is equipped with any lighting device other than lights required or permitted in this article, required or approved by the Superintendent, or required by the federal Department of Transportation shall be operated on any highway in the Commonwealth. Nothing in this section shall permit any vehicle, not otherwise authorized, to be equipped with colored emergency lights, whether blinking or steady-burning.

(Code 1950, § 46-273; 1954, c. 310; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-267; 1960, cc. 156, 391; 1962, c. 512; 1966, cc. 655, 664; 1968, c. 89; 1972, c. 7; 1974, c. 537; 1976, c. 6; 1977, c. 72; 1978, cc. 311, 357; 1980, c. 337; 1981, c. 338; 1984, cc. 440, 539; 1985, cc. 248, 269, 287, 462; 1986, cc. 124, 127, 229; 1987, cc. 347, 370; 1988, cc. 339, 351; 1989, c. 727; 1991, c. 516; 1995, c. 122; 2003, c. 153; 2006, c. 122.)

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DOT in VA are a bunch of communists. They failed an inspection on me once because I had an aftermarket backup light installed and the bulb was burnt out. All installed lights have to be operationally. I was doing some research on the light laws in VA when trying to inquire about rear facing amber strobes. What I could gather was normal lights are not going to be a big deal unless your using them on public roads. Basically, some of the setups I've seen on here would be fine, as long as you're not running them on the roads. Their state code is hard to interpret if you ask me.

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck failed inspection last year because of the 20" Rigid light bar, and 2 sets of Duallys. I had to buy the Rigid light covers, go back to the inspection station to pass inspection. Then I took the covers off and stored somewhere. I'll have to find them again before my inspection is due in December.

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First mistake:

Asking a dealer to do any modification to your Raptor.

Kinda like Alan said in the Hangover... probably more "frowned upon" than anything.

Those inspection states are tough though.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I traded my 2010 in the dealer asked me if I had full covers for the front lights I had on my truck because they cant sell any vehicle with aftermarket lights on the front and they can not legally install them at a dealer.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
my truck failed inspection last year because of the 20" Rigid light bar, and 2 sets of Duallys. I had to buy the Rigid light covers, go back to the inspection station to pass inspection. Then I took the covers off and stored somewhere. I'll have to find them again before my inspection is due in December.

The black covers are all you needed?

I'm lucky enough that I'll be out of the state before long so I won't have to deal with inspections for much longer.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here in jersey, you can put a ton of aftermarket lights on your truck, But supposed to be covered, when on public roads, and deff when going through inspection, people here drive on public roads with no covers, but if a officer wants to he can ticket you for no covers, and will if using them on public roads.