Leaf Springs, Bump Stops, Shackles, and Traction bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickW

Reaction score
I've read more threads on these items than I can remember. I've collected some information and was hoping to have some feedback, confirmation, and/or clarification.

I going to buy new leaf springs for my 2017 and I'm attempting to understand what else I should look to buy/install at the same time. Budget is the biggest factor, but I want to get what I need and I don't want to waste money. I feel like I have a pretty solid understanding on the leaf springs, it's the other items that I'm considering and looking for helpful feedback.

Here's my thoughts/questions, please let me know what you think if you have personal experience with this. Thank you

1. Bump stops - When upgrading leaf springs, something needs to be done for the bump stops. This is because the factory block is removed when upgrading leaf springs and the factory block provides the factory stop for the bumps. The choices are either a bump pad for the factory bumps (like the SDHQ), or upgrading to a bump stop kit (like for RPG or SVC). Big difference in price and in functionality. I haven't done much off-roading or any jumping YET, but I recently moved to western Colorado from Florida and will be doing some light off-roading and medium speed runs, but no jumping as the Raptor is my daily. I'm considering buying the RPG or SVC bump stop kit to prevent damage and having regret later, but I don't feel like I really NEED it yet. Also, I don't tow often and I don't tow heavy loads. There are other bump stop kits, but from what I can tell RPG and SVC kits seem to be the most desirable. Thoughts?

2. Shackles - I'm going to upgrade the shackles. From what I've read the 2" extended shackles will lower the ride height 1"-1.5" and allow an increased droop, but only if you have upgraded shocks to take advantage of this increase in droop. I believe I would also need longer brake lines. I recently replaced my shocks with factory due to budget/needs, so I don't think extended shackles will do me any good at this point. I'm leaning towards RPG (billet with zerk fitting) or SVC stock length shackles. Also, extended shackles prevent the use of traction bars?

3. Traction Bars - Assist with preventing axle wrap and help with wheel hop and traction. Looking at RPG and SVC traction bars. I'm unsure how much I need traction bars with the upgraded leaf springs, as I've read that upgrading the leaf springs will drastically help with these issues. Also, I read that the bump stop plate (like the SDHQ) conflicts with installation of traction bars. Due to budget, I'm thinking if I'm going to spend more money, then bump stops would be a better use of money than traction bars at this point. Thoughts?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
what’s your use case?

I think the biggest deficiency to address is axle wrap/hop. Traction bars IMO.

OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
what’s your use case?

I think the biggest deficiency to address is axle wrap/hop. Traction bars IMO.

Daily driver with occasional light off roading and some fun runs around Colorado/Utah. Nothing too crazy and no big jumps. You think traction bars instead of bump stop kit? I can't swing both right now on top of new springs and shackles.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That’s where I would go. If you never got to Raptor Assault with the Jen Too, the axle wrap/hop is huge at full throttle in dirt and sand. Once your going it’s not so much an issue but take offs are violent.

I went torque arm, mainly for ease of install but traction bars are a good option here.

Since it’s a daily, and mine was at the time as well, I’m not doing drop shackles, adding height, changing pinion angle, etc. planting the rear end makes the truck much more predictable and controllable.

Most of us aren’t full sending the trucks.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s where I would go. If you never got to Raptor Assault with the Jen Too, the axle wrap/hop is huge at full throttle in dirt and sand. Once your going it’s not so much an issue but take offs are violent.

I went torque arm, mainly for ease of install but traction bars are a good option here.

Since it’s a daily, and mine was at the time as well, I’m not doing drop shackles, adding height, changing pinion angle, etc. planting the rear end makes the truck much more predictable and controllable.

Most of us aren’t full sending the trucks.
Come on, don't lie to the new guy!!! You know we all run our trucks on MX tracks every weekend, That's what they are built for!!! :cool:

OP
OP
NickW

NickW

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to the new springs, my only regret is waiting this long to get them.

I’ve only used this truck as a daily up to this point, but since recently moving to Colorado I’m planning to take advantage of the great runs around here.

Psirus7

Reaction score
I would go deavers with a bump kit and then see if you need traction bars. My truck is my daily, and I run it. You could also go with an extended bump pad if you’re not ready to pull the trigger on a bump kit just yet.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would go deavers with a bump kit and then see if you need traction bars. My truck is my daily, and I run it. You could also go with an extended bump pad if you’re not ready to pull the trigger on a bump kit just yet.

Devers and bump stop kit.
Agree here. Traction bars should be last if you are going deavers.