Is this normal/acceptable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect video link. That video def proves that Expel can take those contours in experienced hands...that dude is an artist...he is using blank rolls and took him 25 hours to do the front clip and A pillars! I'm pretty sure that you aren't gonna get that level of craftmanship for the $1500 or so that you would pay the dealership. Expel licensed dealers have access to these precut templates that make it a lot easier (hence cheaper)...I'm guessing that is what the Suntek appliers did...if they cut that along those lines themselves then that is poor form ineed. My dude used a precut template and although most edges are folded or tucked, you can see the edge of the film in some corners. Definitely weren't any along the length of the hood like that. My edges are way more subtle in terms of location...and invisible if you aren't looking for them.

The precut templates are designed to deliver a very similar install. They give you enough material to roll the edges where its possible and if its not it usually will line up with the very edge of the panel right before it would normally roll under. The guy does some seriously insanely good work.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Yeah... Take it back...

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

I can tell by the video that I can't afford this but it's pretty awesome!

XPEL Ultimate on a 17' Raptor should be in the $5-6,000 range and then about another $1,000 if you want Stealth instead. Its definitely expensive to wrap an entire truck but your paint is incredibly safe. I wish I had the cash to wrap everything completely in Ultimate.

Tungsten

Reaction score
IMG_1841.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

FWIW, I just had my truck wrapped and tinted Mon-Wed this week past. My finish looks nothing like yours. I would highly recommend having them remove it and redo it or remove it and get your money back. A competent shop/installer can make it look like it's not even there.

I have attached some quick photos of my Suntek wrap for reference. One of the images shows the area you have in question. I also included a door image and a closeup of the rear quarter panel, which please note that the precut film edge is hardly noticeable.

Good luck and hopefully you can find a positive outcome to the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1844.jpg
    IMG_1844.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 123

noblesramair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My whole hood is wrapped on my G2 and I don't have any cuts like that. Sometimes they do have to do cuts to make it fit as its designed that way in some cases but in the end that is the installers experience that can make them look almost undistinguishable. I had a bunch of custom clear bra work done on my CTS-V and all the cuts almost butt up against each other and are hardly noticeable but the guy that did mine was really good.

OneBadSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whether you have them redo it or removed and done elsewhere, make sure there is no damage to the paint in those areas (or anywhere for that matter). I've seen a few examples of poor installs where the PPF was cut on or close to the body panel and actually cut into the paint.

cmacclel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell for $6-7k I'll just have it repainted in a few years lol.

Exactly and when you trade it in for the next best thing you loose ALL the money you put into paint protection as the dealer could care less. You roll in with your babied truck with 6k worth of paint protection options and you get the same price as the one with 100 small rock chips.......been there never again. Have them remove it...........get your money back and just drive the truck :)

BUraptor

Reaction score
I recently posted about my SunTek PPF on the thread. I don't have cuts like that on the hood. He was able to make it one piece and tuck the edges. I do however have some cuts like that on the bumper. How did your bumper turn out? Would you mind posting some pics?

Tungsten

Reaction score
I recently posted about my SunTek PPF on the thread. I don't have cuts like that on the hood. He was able to make it one piece and tuck the edges. I do however have some cuts like that on the bumper. How did your bumper turn out? Would you mind posting some pics?

I'll snap a picture of the front bumper for you in the AM. No cuts that I have noticed.

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SunTek bumper templates

The front bumper is covered well.
There is an identically placed seam on both sides of the truck on the side bumper pieces as shown in the picture below....

Attachments

• IMG_4333.jpg
    IMG_4333.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

BUraptor

Reaction score
The front bumper is covered well.
There is an identically placed seam on both sides of the truck on the side bumper pieces as shown in the picture below....

Thanks for sharing the pic. I think I'm going to have the installer take the PPF off my bumper. I wasn't happy with the cuts made around the headlights.