Is there a difference between Gen 2 and Gen 3 motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IamNomad

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that the Gen 3 motor, although rated for the same for torque and horsepower, was retuned to deliver the torque at lower rpm's.
Is this true? If so would it explain an improvement in mileage (about 1.5-2 mpg) in favor of my Gen 3 over my Gen 2?

Are there any other differences between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 motor?

Has the cam phaser issue been fixed with the Gen 3 or are we still waiting to find out with time and use?

Thanks guys.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I recall they bumped the compression from 10:1 to 10.5:1 and redesigned the spark plugs to an indexed setup. A couple other minor charges but generally nothing huge. Not sure if it’s still using the same turbos.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From the dyno results it appears they were able to increase low end torque, since the 5 link better maintains axle position and pinion angle unlike the leafs of prior generations.

As far as cam phasers, that issue has been resolved for almost 4 years.

Warpath

Reaction score
From the dyno results it appears they were able to increase low end torque, since the 5 link better maintains axle position and pinion angle unlike the leafs of prior generations.

As far as cam phasers, that issue has been resolved for almost 4 years.
I believe they added an EGR valve too.

COBB Tuning

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Definitely a lot of changes. Compression ratio is higher than Gen2 as mentioned earlier, turbos are different (greater compressor efficiency at higher airmass per Ford's modeled CoE), HPFP runs a few hundred PSI higher at WOT, smaller port injectors, smaller direct injectors (although pressure increase from HPFP will actually increase total DI fueling capacity). Likely some other changes to cam profile and intake/exhaust manifold design as there are some VE changes in the factory fueling model. And an emissions category lower at ULEV50 (Federal Tier 3 Bin 50/California LEV-III ULEV50) which is really impressive - these emissions categories are determined by the total mass of specific pollutants (NMOG+NOx) per mile, not per gallon of gas used. So for a relatively high fuel consuming vehicle like the Raptor, hitting this low emissions category is surprising.

OP
OP
I

IamNomad

Reaction score
I'm glad that Ford did not rest on their laurels with the Gen 3 3.5L high performance motor.
It may not be as sexy as a big V8 but I think the latest version of this engine is under rated and pretty impressive.
What little guilt I feel for buying a Raptor is now assuaged by it's better mpg (at least compared to my 2019) and lowered emissions.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. EGR and cooler.
I though we already had one, shame on me to not have check directly in my engine... Glad to learn that, I am not trustfull with EGR and stuff like this, catalyst, particul filter whith AD blue, ect... All this lead (in Europe) to have modern diesel which work like "gas factory" as we say here...I mean you have always something which fail with this anti-pollution system... Hope EGR and cooler on Gen3 are reliable ...Or may, time to delete it :emotions33: