iPad mount for driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of different ways you can put a iPad mounting solution together with RAM parts. the B-size (1") balls and arms are less expensive and are definitely strong enough, but you do get a bit more vibrationflex/bounce in it, especially if you are on a very bumpy road. The C-size (1.5") just tightens everything up. The iPad cradle works with either size, so you could reuse that part. You could even make your "double ball" with one 1.5" ball and one 1" ball, and use the heavier arm for the longer, bottom piece and a lighter arm for the short upper piece.

Here are the parts to put it together exactly as I currently have it...

ramcomponents-M.jpg

Dumb question so forgive me, have not had much experience with vehicle electronics. How are you charging the unit and playing music at the same time? Using the 3.5mm and a cig charger or is there a better way? If using the 3.5mm does it sound okay? I have heard the sound is better off the USB. I am asking because I just bought an IPAD 2 I would like to use in the Raptor.
:birgits_tiredcoffee

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Dumb question so forgive me, have not had much experience with vehicle electronics. How are you charging the unit and playing music at the same time? Using the 3.5mm and a cig charger or is there a better way? If using the 3.5mm does it sound okay? I have heard the sound is better off the USB. I am asking because I just bought an IPAD 2 I would like to use in the Raptor.
:birgits_tiredcoffee

You could either run the USB all the way to the front stack to play music and charge it that way or you could stream the music through the Bluetooth and just charge it with a cigarette lighter plug. I've heard the USB is the better way to charge it since its more consistent and won't damage the battery.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Would love to hear your review on this. My seat has a fair amount of movement and without anyone sitting in the front seat things get real bouncy. It its nothing I would consider professional grade. I did go with a much cheaper option but if what you mount it to is the culprit there isn't much the mount can do. I have a couple ideas as I need to have a solid mount and also have the ability to attach larger monitors.

I thought about that so I mounted it to the driver seat headrest posts. That should limit the vibration since (in theory) there should always be someone in the driver seat.

I don't really like the mount itself. It sits off the back of the seat a bit and it puts my iPad within easy reach of my 3 year old. It also won't extend far enough to be in the middle and I'm certain my 6 year old son will take issue with that. I'm working on a solution to use the same mount (or something similar) and have it sit solidly in the 2 cupholders at the rear of the console.

pfbz

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Ford USB plugs do not provide enough current to effectively charge the iPad. I use a cig. lighter type charger plugged in to the inside of the center console. Ran the wires underneath, pops out right below the iPad. I stream audio through bluetooth.

It's also easy enough to run the iPad cable directly to the center stack USB port if for some reason I didn't want to use bluetooth. It's enough current to keep the iPad running, just not enough to charge it.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Lots of different ways you can put a iPad mounting solution together with RAM parts. the B-size (1") balls and arms are less expensive and are definitely strong enough, but you do get a bit more vibrationflex/bounce in it, especially if you are on a very bumpy road. The C-size (1.5") just tightens everything up. The iPad cradle works with either size, so you could reuse that part. You could even make your "double ball" with one 1.5" ball and one 1" ball, and use the heavier arm for the longer, bottom piece and a lighter arm for the short upper piece.

Here are the parts to put it together exactly as I currently have it...

ramcomponents-M.jpg

Can you rotate the mount so that the iPad is horizontal?

Raptoyd11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Ford USB plugs do not provide enough current to effectively charge the iPad. I use a cig. lighter type charger plugged in to the inside of the center console. Ran the wires underneath, pops out right below the iPad. I stream audio through bluetooth.

It's also easy enough to run the iPad cable directly to the center stack USB port if for some reason I didn't want to use bluetooth. It's enough current to keep the iPad running, just not enough to charge it.

I ordered the RAM mount like you have, thanks for the info on that. It is due in tomorrow and looking forward to installing it. Yeah I thought the charging ability of USB in most vehicles is an issue. Any issues with Bluetooth streaming? Sounds good? When you say the USB is enough to run it not charge it so does it hold steady where its at and then I could simply recharge once in a while at home or do you still expend the battery even though hooked into the USB?

Last edited:

pfbz

Reaction score
I ordered the RAM mount like you have, thanks for the info on that. It is due in tomorrow and looking forward to installing it. Yeah I thought the charging ability of USB in most vehicles is an issue. Any issues with Bluetooth streaming? Sounds good? When you say the USB is enough to run it not charge it so does it hold steady where its at and then I could simply recharge once in a while at home or do you still expend the battery even though hooked into the USB?

The bluetooth sound quality seems fine... Especially considering the relatively mediocre sound quality of the Ford stereo system with any source.

But honestly I now have so many sources of commercial free music, that I don't stream from the iPad all that often. I listen to sat radio maybe 50% of the time, local radio maybe 20%, a small dedicated iPod with a ton of music on it (attached to USB2, routed into the center console) another 20%, and only use the iPad for things like Pandora streaming or maybe an audio book once in a while.

As for the charge/discharge with the USB to center stack, I haven't tried it enough to answer your question. Using the iPad with the GPS running constantly does consume more power than most other iPad tasks, so it might not keep up with that, but will probably do fine with playing music.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed my ram mount, works great! Thanks for the insight. You do need to order the diamond ball for the iPad, and the backplate as well to anyone interested in duplicating the above setup.