Intermittent starting system fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phoenix0783

Reaction score
I think I've narrowed it down to the fob, but wanted a second opinion. Model year 2011.

So a couple of days ago my truck wouldn't start with the newest fob I have. It's about a year old and I had it programmed at Ford. I originally only got one key with the truck so they had to do the whole rigamarole.

Last night I went to start my truck and only heard relays clicking. Then I got a message on the dash about a starting system fault. Tried a couple of times with no luck. Unhooked the battery for an hour and then it started twice in quick succession. Let it sit for a couple hours and it wouldn't start again. After doing some reading, I tried remote start. It started and didn't die when I put the key in and turned it on. Drove it home 20 miles just fine.

Wouldn't start with the fob in the column this morning. Remote start still worked. Put the key in the column and it didn't die. I grabbed my old fob and it started the truck just fine in the column. Tried a few times over a couple of hours with the old fob. No issues.

So I pulled apart my new fob. Battery has 3.1 volts so I don' think that's the issue. Do fobs go bad? And, can I get a new key made and go through the simple introduction process, or am I going to have to go to the dealership for long process (no availability until April)?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The “Starting System Fault” message indicates a PATS (immobilizer) issue. Either the BCM is not able to verify the PCM ID, or the BCM does not recognize a programmed key.

Since it remote starts fine and the old fob works, it’s likely an issue with the new fob not being recognized. First ensure there are no devices on the key ring of the new fob that could interfere with signal transmission. If not, the next thing to verify is whether you have a genuine Ford Rotunda key. There are a lot of Chinese knock offs out there that either won’t program, or fail later. They basically look identical. Did you buy the key or purchase it through the dealer?

afoxrun

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Rapture. On occasion the truck is completely dead when I try and start. tach and speedometer dials fluter. I try and open and close with remote and then it starts.At that point when the truck is running the heat if off . I also only have the remote open option and the door lock option will not work. The last 2 times the SYNC system went into the maintenance update mode.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 Rapture. On occasion the truck is completely dead when I try and start. tach and speedometer dials fluter. I try and open and close with remote and then it starts.At that point when the truck is running the heat if off . I also only have the remote open option and the door lock option will not work. The last 2 times the SYNC system went into the maintenance update mode.

Hallelujah!