Insuring a Raptor and ISO Symbols

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
So, I discovered much to my chagrin that my auto insurance company finally caught on to the Raptor.

When I opened my policy in 2010, my insurance agent classified my Raptor as an F-150, and I paid a premium similar to one I would expect to pay on a "standard" F-150 trim.

When I registered my 2013 today, I was informed that my premium went up $350, and effectively more since I am actually receiving additional discounts for my driving record and time as a policy holder.

My agent informed me that the Raptor has a high ISO symbol, and sent me this article to chew on. I thought I would share..

ISO's Symbols for Individual Makes and Models of Cars
What's an ISO Symbol? How does it affect the automobile insurance premium for an individual car?

A Symbol is a code used in ISO's Vehicle Series Rating (VSR) program. The purpose of Vehicle Series Rating is to match premiums for each particular type of car to losses for that type of car.

For each vehicle within a vehicle series (defined by such characteristics as make, model, and body style), ISO assigns a Rating Symbol. ISO provides corresponding Symbol factors that insurers may use in determining premiums for individual policies. A vehicle with a higher Rating Symbol will have a higher premium than a vehicle with a lower Symbol if all other rating variables are the same.

ISO now offers two kinds of Symbols:

Personal Auto Physical Damage Rating Symbols are codes that indicate the relative risk of loss for each private passenger vehicle for a given model year. Each Symbol has a corresponding Symbol relativity, or factor, that insurers can use to develop premiums for comprehensive and collision coverage.

Liability and PIP/Medical Payments (LPMP) Symbols are codes that indicate the relative risk of loss for each private passenger vehicle series. Each Symbol has a corresponding Symbol relativity, or factor, that insurers can use to develop premiums for liability and PIP/medical payments coverage.

Like all ISO products and services, Symbols are advisory. Insurers may use them without modification, modify them, or choose not to use them.

How does ISO develop Rating Symbols?

For Personal Auto Physical Damage Rating Symbols, ISO starts by assigning a preliminary Symbol (price-new Symbol) based solely on the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of the vehicle. Then, by examining actual loss experience for the vehicle series to which that vehicle belongs, ISO makes adjustments — either upward or downward — to modify the Symbol as necessary.

For Liability and PIP/Medical Payments (LPMP) Symbols, ISO assigns a Symbol based on two factors — the actual loss experience for the vehicle series and a predicted loss ratio relativity for the series.

First, ISO looks at the actual loss experience of a particular vehicle and assigns a loss ratio relativity to each vehicle series. Then, we supplement the loss ratio with a predicted relativity based on the results from a predictive model. The model uses a number of factors, such as curb weight and chassis type, to calculate the predicted relativity based on the physical characteristics of the vehicle series. Based on that analysis, ISO assigns each vehicle series two Symbols — one for Liability and another for PIP/Medical Payments.

After ISO assigns the preliminary LPMP Symbols, we examine actual loss experience for that vehicle series and make adjustments — both upward and downward — to revise the Symbols as necessary.
Why is it that two different vehicles with similar MSRPs can have different Personal Auto Physical Damage Rating Symbols? Why is it that two vehicles with different MSRPs have similar or identical Personal Auto Physical Damage Rating Symbols?

When developing the Symbol for a vehicle of a particular model and year, ISO starts with a Symbol based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price. We call that the price-new Symbol. We then adjust the price-new Symbol to reflect differences in the claim frequency and/or severity. There may be many possible causes for such differences. For example:

Some vehicles are more attractive to thieves than others.
Some vehicles are involved in more collisions than others.
Some vehicles are more expensive to repair than others. (Since most collision claims result in repair rather than total replacement, repair cost may be a bigger factor in overall losses than the cost of the vehicle.)

Such differences can account for two vehicles with similar MSRPs having different Rating Symbols — or for two vehicles with different MSRPs having the same Rating Symbol.

By reflecting adjustments based on actual loss experience, ISO's Symbols promote equity.
How can I find out about the effect on premium of choosing a particular vehicle?

When considering the purchase of any new or used car, you can contact your insurer or agent to find out how the choice of vehicle will affect physical damage premium. Having that information may affect your purchase decision and help you avoid unpleasant surprises after the purchase.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a effing bunch of BS huh... After the first of the year I am changing mine to Grundy since I dont use it for a work vehicle... It will drop almost 400 a year changing. I have my buggy insured with them now...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I pay the same each year for the raptor as I did for my regular f150, no difference at all. Sounds like BS to me as well.

raptor2012

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pay 59 a month for full coverage with 100000/300000 limits on a 2012 raptor through Allstate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like pretty effective marketing. On a separate note, I insure my vehicles through state farm, highest limits/lowest deductibles they offer, and have been quoted (via vin as vehicle is not yet here) $65 a month which is $10 a month more than my current car, a 2010 camaro. Difference most likely coming from a much higher msrp for the raptor. All in all I consider it to be a very reasonable rate. I am sure I can do better $ wise, but I have been very happy with the service from my local agent during the past 10yrs, and am willing to pay for that feeling of "comfort".

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like BS.

I have Allstate, when I insured mine, I went to get the paperwork before I had the truck. Gave him the VIN#, he said "Oh you're getting a new 2012 F-150?" I said yeah, didn't want to mention it was a Raptor. He runs all the numbers, and to my surprise it came out cheaper than my 2000 HD F-150 was to insure (which also only showed up as a f-150 on the card). When the numbers were final, I asked him if it showed up which model F-150, because I wanted to make sure I'd be covered to the fullest extent, but didn't want to influence the price. I doubt it would have, but just extra cautious lol. He looked into more of the details and said "oh you're getting a Raptor? Those are mean trucks".

So long story short, still only shows as a f-150 on the card and up-front paperwork, but dig down and it shows Raptor, and had no major effect on my premium. The truck cost $50k so it was insured accordingly, but without excess fees for having the SVT tag.

c-ne-elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thing to make sure is covered is all the mod's that you have done to your truck. Most policies state that as long as it is "attached" to the truck it is covered. But I can assure you (my brother-in-law is my insurance agent) if you have $10,000 in mod's on your truck and you total it you are going to be in for a surprise.

To be sure you are fully covered, you can list your mod's on your policy. I did that and my insurance went up $6.00 a year. Cheap for making sure all my mod's are covered.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think mine said "Raptor" from day one?

It's not super cheap, that's for sure! It costs about $5/month less than my '08 STI did, which was VERY EXPENSIVE to insure. Too many parents buying them for their teenagers, who turn around and crash them.