If you were only putting 1 set or 1 light bar on your Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 40" rigid mounted on my add stealth Bumper its a combo spot/flood and it makes daylight at night very easy to spot deer and moose although I've still hit a few including a moose last week lol

Sent from my Note2

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with Brian on the output of a 20" light in the bumper.

But if I only had one choice I might go with 4 Lightforce lamps (probably would break the $1,000 budget) on a lightbar. I think BigJ is the only Raptor running Lightforce lamps (there may be others I don't know about).

Driving Lights

Here's an interesting post I found on this very subject:

"Cheap-and-nasty lights will wind up disappointing you. They won't hold up well, nor will they work well. Try and get the best quality lights you can. If that were my budget and my need, I would pick up six cheap and rugged PAR46 housings such as these or these, both of which are available on amazon.com ( here and here, the same chrome photo is shown for both, but in fact one is chromed and one is painted).

Then I'd go hit Daniel Stern for some optics to put in them. If I guess correctly, he'll recommend four Cibie driving beam units to fit the housings, with appropriate bulbs. Might come in over your budget, but not by much, and if you plead poverty he'll probably have a "next best" option to recommend."

Link to above: Looking for off road lights, whats the best bang/buck?

Speaking of Daniel Stern, you light freaks might really appreciate his website and tech info such as this page: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

And here's a blast of logic - a post that talks about first needing to understand the type of driving you're doing:

"I suggest backing up just a bit and analyzing your usage and your definition of off road driving. Some people want to race at Baja and want super long range lights. Some of us crawl through brush-choked and washed out old logging roads in the soggy Pacific Northwest. For me, it's not so much long range, as seeing around switchbacks and into holes that appear in front of me, as well as seeing to the sides and rear when I need to back up and turn around. I like your plan to mount lights near your bumper ends, angled outward to the sides.

For me, reasonably good halogen headlights, plus a big set of old Cibie clear fog lights (so the lenses are sandblasted and the reflectors beginning to degrade; they still help me see to the sides and the increased "scatter" from the blasted lenses is not a bad thing), handle most of the forward work. High mounted spotlights with landing light bulbs, can take care of special needs.

The rear has two sealed beams inside the 6" channel bumper, and two sealed beam floods mounted high on the sides of the bed. The lower rears are the "sealed beam fog" pattern. The uppers are flood lights.

If I was planning more off road work with that truck, I'd add side floods. But the spots can handle it for occasional use.

I did add a flood capable of being angled downward, to the top of the front end guard on the extended bumper. This was after I got a deer on very steep terrain, and the very end of legal shooting light, and it went over a steep bank before it piled up. I got the truck crosswise of the road and we managed to let the winch line down over the bank, then found that none of my lights could help me. The powerful high mounted spotlights at the top corners of the windshield were too far back to be able to put light down over the bank. And my rechargeable flashlight ran down... That PAR46 flood came in handy many times after that. It had enough "scatter" to be useful operating the PTO winch, and it filled in the area right in front of the truck, no matter how steeply I was looking down.

For slow speed off road, it's not super high light output or long range. Oh, I had a Marchal 902 pencil beam on the front end guard, too. But that was so I could see down the highway at speed. It's coverage everywhere that matters off the road.

Also, my experience with infrequently used trucks that sit outside in a wet climate, points me toward sealed beams, regardless of efficiency. If it's a sealed glass lamp, the reflector won't "go away," as even some Cibie lights have done. The lenses won't fog up. The fixtures won't fill with dust and dirt. Look into those housings Scheinwerfermann suggested, then look at the available selection of 12 volt halogen sealed beams in that size.

What I have described works for me. If your kind of off road driving is running at high speed in a straight line of flat ground, ignore everything I said, and start looking for pencil beams and spotlights."

Link: Looking for off road lights, whats the best bang/buck?

There's a lot of interesting stuff on YouTube including:

Here's what 82,000 Lumens looks like!
100W HID The brightest road registered car in the world 82,000 Lumens - YouTube

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a set of 50w HID KC 6x9 lights on my bumper & you can reach out there as far as you need. Really lights up the eyes of any animals near the road. Personal choice.

Last edited:

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A 22" OnX or 4 Cell 30" for your price range would be amazing and puts out more light then 50" Competitors bars. Definitely the brightest you could get for under $1000. Fully American Made and backed by our lifetime warranty.

sodrty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Led light bars might look cool...but they still cannot compete with hids
The light they emit may be plenty for some,...but i will keep my hella 4000's...
Two floods and you'd be set!!!

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I have no personal experience with the Rigids or vision X but our favorite lights so far are the Whelen Micro Pioneers that WSI sells, Super bright and comes with 4 lenses that allow you to change the pattern.

BlackSun

Reaction score
I would love to put in some of the LED light bars and fog light kits I'm seeing, and am considering the HID headlight kit from the 2013. But considering how expensive most of these LED light bars are, most seem pretty vulnerable to getting damaged by rocks getting flung up at the front of your truck. I'm constantly getting pelted in winter by rocks and gravel on the highway, no matter how careful I am. Only kit that seems somewhat protected are the M&R kits behind the grill. Anybody breaking lights on these bars or are they far stronger and rock resistant than I'm thinking?