If MacGyver Built a Snorkel.... How to..Kinda

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome idea. I'm surprised this isn't a more popular mod.

Some people dont like it because they think the vent is better for allowing the underhood heated air to be able to escape... I have measured and measured the time it takes for the air to escape with that side closed off and it doesnt hurt it at all... I closed up the top near the hood on the drivers side so no underhood air come in. It has the 2 hood vents and the pass side to exit...

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some people dont like it because they think the vent is better for allowing the underhood heated air to be able to escape... I have measured and measured the time it takes for the air to escape with that side closed off and it doesnt hurt it at all... I closed up the top near the hood on the drivers side so no underhood air come in. It has the 2 hood vents and the pass side to exit...

You'll have to excuse me on this one since I don't have my Raptor yet to know how the engine bay is all set up, but how do the side vents have an air path to the engine bay? From those pics it looked like it was only from the very front of the engine bay, which air would be blowing out of the vents from in the grille, and not air from the engine bay itself. THe only way I'd see engine bay air escaping would be if there were big holes in the engine bay side of the fender to that channel for the fender vent.

Even still at low speeds, heat rises so it will vent out the hood vents anyway. At highway speeds, there's enough air pressure that it's blowing out from every nook and crannie in the engine bay. And I bet there's a very good chance those hood vents actuall induct air at highway speeds rather than extract it because it's usually a low pressure zone at the rear side of the hood at speed.

OP
OP
A

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reptar, you are correct. The vents only open up the rear of the fender so air can pass from front to back.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll have to excuse me on this one since I don't have my Raptor yet to know how the engine bay is all set up, but how do the side vents have an air path to the engine bay? From those pics it looked like it was only from the very front of the engine bay, which air would be blowing out of the vents from in the grille, and not air from the engine bay itself. THe only way I'd see engine bay air escaping would be if there were big holes in the engine bay side of the fender to that channel for the fender vent.

Even still at low speeds, heat rises so it will vent out the hood vents anyway. At highway speeds, there's enough air pressure that it's blowing out from every nook and crannie in the engine bay. And I bet there's a very good chance those hood vents actuall induct air at highway speeds rather than extract it because it's usually a low pressure zone at the rear side of the hood at speed.

Here is a picture of the side hole in the fender...

Attachments

• side v.jpg
    side v.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 65

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah I'd say they're pretty minimal for function of air movement in/out of the engine bay.

Also with how the 1st poster has his tube, it's not sealed to the fender vent. It's just up to that area. So the vent can still dual function between a location for air induction to the tubing going to the filter box, and whatever air movement in/out of the engine bay. Which again I'm surprised that this hasn't been a more popular mod on these trucks. Definitely going on my to-do list once the weather breaks.

OP
OP
A

AlbertaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to add to that I live in an area that's near zero degrees C for around 5 months out of the year. Maybe 10 days that are ever in the 30c range.

So 180 days of 35F doesn't cause me much concern for heat lol.

Also not attaching to the vent does allow the air that is flowing through from the headlights to be pulled in as well.

I didn't filter up the inlet as I figured the air filter will do that job just fine. I was concerned about condensation and wet air but I think the drain holes will settle that down

Im happy. I'm just surprised to see two people come up with the same idea haha.

Hopefully more guys jump on the bandwagon cause this works slick as heck.

Jeff