ICON 3.0 Coilover, Upper Control Arm + Skid Plate installation write up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I think ICONRep is subscribed to this thread so if you're out there Mr. ICONRep please chime in here.

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9 visible threads but measures 26.25 from center to flare. Hmmm.

Measuring at the front of the sidestep and the rear of the sidestep, the front of the truck is still 1/4" lower. Stock height national leafs in rear.

Guess I will let icon guys look at it in a week.

Looked at old SDHQ website post on adjusting to top perch -- a Raptor on stock wheels and tires on top perch measured about 43.25" from ground to flare. My truck, currently on stock wheels and tires, measures 42.5" from ground to flare. In theory, my truck is somewhere between mid and top perch. I am going to leave as is for now. If ICON thinks I am way too high when I get to Tecate, then I can drop it down - love how easy it is to adjust the aftermarket shocks.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Looked at old SDHQ website post on adjusting to top perch -- a Raptor on stock wheels and tires on top perch measured about 43.25" from ground to flare. My truck, currently on stock wheels and tires, measures 42.5" from ground to flare. In theory, my truck is somewhere between mid and top perch. I am going to leave as is for now. If ICON thinks I am way too high when I get to Tecate, then I can drop it down - love how easy it is to adjust the aftermarket shocks.

yeah but the 43.25" seems even a little high for top perch. i always assumed they measured that prior to settling.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This would probably be a costly install. If you went somewhere like SDHQ who does it all the time that's one thing but for a typical shop to tackle this job they would A) probably screw it up and B) Charge you for 6-8 hours labor which would be 500-800 depending on how much the shop charges?

You CAN do this. Set aside a weekend, get the tools you need, skip the beer on this install and just enjoy yourself. It's a rewarding job.

Hey Andy, you were right! We were able to do the front shocks in about 6 hours. 4 hours for one side and 2 for the other. Practice makes perfect. It took some serious review of everyone's comments and some creative thinking to get it done. The rear shocks took about 2 hours. And zero alcohol during the install. After the install, well that's a different story.

Having the right tools is 75% of the battle!

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not looking forward to tackling this, the result however will be worth it.

OP
OP
BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Hey Andy, you were right! We were able to do the front shocks in about 6 hours. 4 hours for one side and 2 for the other. Practice makes perfect. It took some serious review of everyone's comments and some creative thinking to get it done. The rear shocks took about 2 hours. And zero alcohol during the install. After the install, well that's a different story.

Having the right tools is 75% of the battle!

Nice work. Enjoy