ICI Hidden Winch Mount & 12.5 Talon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing this! Going to get try out this winch mount as well! I am wondering how easy it is to install and remove the winch? In case of a snafu on trail where the winch needs to moved to the rear?

OP
OP
10-8

10-8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for sharing this! Going to get try out this winch mount as well! I am wondering how easy it is to install and remove the winch? In case of a snafu on trail where the winch needs to moved to the rear?

Most Winches in this size range use the same 4 bolt pattern, so that part is easy. You would have to come up with a quick disconnect for the electrical though, and a way to get power in the back.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your front end is stuck and you need to winch from the rear, you are not going to want to unbolt your winch to move it to the back. Too much work and in mud on top of that.

See my link above on how to winch your truck backwards from the winch in the front. Learn this technique and buy the right gear and you won't have to move the winch.

Yukon Joe

OP
OP
10-8

10-8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your front end is stuck and you need to winch from the rear, you are not going to want to unbolt your winch to move it to the back. Too much work and in mud on top of that.

See my link above on how to winch your truck backwards from the winch in the front. Learn this technique and buy the right gear and you won't have to move the winch.

Yukon Joe

Hey Yukon, I have read that thread and find the information as a great resource. I'll have to look more closely at the ability to winch backwards. I just can't wrap my head around it. The winch is always pulling in one direction, which is towards the first point in front of it. Winching backwards would mean increasing that distance between the winch and that first point. I'll have to watch that video some more. Thanks!!

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Yukon, I have read that thread and find the information as a great resource. I'll have to look more closely at the ability to winch backwards. I just can't wrap my head around it. The winch is always pulling in one direction, which is towards the first point in front of it. Winching backwards would mean increasing that distance between the winch and that first point. I'll have to watch that video some more. Thanks!!

I don't blame yeah.... That's the reason why I had to set it up in the driveway / yard to try it. It does work though, lol.... :ROFLJest:
Check out a couple videos on youtube.

couple of things to note,
1) the snatch blocks are pricey, but worth it to have a quality block. I really like the warn ones.
2) You need anchor points, this won't work out in a field or desert.
3) you need a lot of winch cable.

Glo

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yukon Joe

I am usually in desert areas, without trees etc. and have been in plenty of situations where it would be easier to move the winch to the back...if you do mostly solo trips like me, having the winch in the back is a lot easier in the majority of the situations. I always pack the snatch blocks and anchor - with the winch on a hitch receiver in the bed...too many anchors needed for reverse winching unless you have other vehicles or trees around.

Just tired of my winch always in the bed and want to get a sense how tight - hard it is to get the winch in and out. I would hate lugging my winch back and forth - too heavy, but I would prefer it being semi easy to get it in and out in case of an emergency.

VDEG is my bible,...thanks for the link.

OP
OP
10-8

10-8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am usually in desert areas, without trees etc. and have been in plenty of situations where it would be easier to move the winch to the back...if you do mostly solo trips like me, having the winch in the back is a lot easier in the majority of the situations. I always pack the snatch blocks and anchor - with the winch on a hitch receiver in the bed...too many anchors needed for reverse winching unless you have other vehicles or trees around.

Just tired of my winch always in the bed and want to get a sense how tight - hard it is to get the winch in and out. I would hate lugging my winch back and forth - too heavy, but I would prefer it being semi easy to get it in and out in case of an emergency.

VDEG is my bible,...thanks for the link.

How do you handle the power requirements in the rear? Do you have some sort of quick disconnect in the back? I assume you would have to use pretty large wire to run that ditance to supply the needed amps a winch draws.