I need to take up knitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, being a "car guy" is an expensive hobby! I bought my Raptor on the premise that it's Total Cost of Ownership would be less than the 2008 E63 AMG I traded in. The TCO is less, but I've spent so much on "mods" it's ridiculous and I haven't even gone balls out like some of you guys.

I've kept my Raptor tame, as I've messed with a Daily Driver in the past and burned myself. It's still under warranty, so I'm hesitant to do a tune or anything that could mess with my warranty claims.

But then I surfed back to my old MB forum and saw a video of some kid that cut off his resonator and his secondary cats. I was instantly rocketed back to when I did my resonator delete.

So now I'm jonesing for some more sound from the truck, for a little more power, for a little more pizazz! Seriously, why can't I find a hobby that doesn't cost thousands!

Here are the only two videos I ever took of the car after the exhaust work. It was very impressive to hear next to the car. Upon deceleration, I'd even get the occasional backfire pop and I loved every minute!

Exhaust - YouTube

Exhaust under acceleration - YouTube

My wife is sitting here, shaking her head, asking "what's this going to cost me?"!

Last edited:

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same here. Even when I car shop, I can never just drive anything to get me from point A to point B. Its gotta be special.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep and I'm the dealer to your habit!

I would leave the cats alone, but you should have the pre muffler on your truck (2011+) which you can remove, however its only going to do a little for sound. I run (and sell for install) magnaflow pt# 14419, its insanely loud when you get on it, but fairly quiet if you don't get on it and not running a tune. You'll hear me a mile away a Snoball! I sell the muffler for $90, and if the guy already has his exhaust out of the truck , weld it in for another $50. This is an under the truck "offroad" dump, which if you begin offroading this truck moderately, you'll notice exhaust issues.

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have to see your setup in a few weeks. I'm chase for Group B, so you'll be behind me at least once. If it's clamps, I can install it. If it needs to be welded, my old MB buddy that did my resonator delete owns a shop and could help me.

I don't get on the gas in my Raptor like I did in the AMG, but I do miss that start up sounds and idling rumble. What I can't have is drone at speed. I carry kids and customers and drive for work quite a bit, and I can't be batty when I get out of the truck.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely weld if you plan on offroading . you'll have a drone around 70, but if your guy can get it as far back as possible it will become less and less. I haven't seen an aftermarket exhaust yet mentioned on here that's louder, but doesn't have some drone. It's really in how it gets installed I think. I'll bring one with me and if you like it you can buy it. I will say though , its not for everyone...

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you are saying! I really didnt think when I bought the truck a few months ago I would do, or would have already done all the stuff I'm doing...I think its a testament to how much we all like these trucks though!

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely weld if you plan on offroading . you'll have a drone around 70, but if your guy can get it as far back as possible it will become less and less. I haven't seen an aftermarket exhaust yet mentioned on here that's louder, but doesn't have some drone. It's really in how it gets installed I think. I'll bring one with me and if you like it you can buy it. I will say though , its not for everyone...

Well hold onto for now, since I just dropped 700 on a damn Rigid 20" bar. If I ask the wife for anything more than gas money, I'll awake to a home castration one night!

I do want to hear yours though, so see if you can catch up to me at the SnoBall!

J-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good cheap alternative for more sound, if thats what your after, and if you don't mind a bit of highway drone. Just seprate you exhaust after the resonator/before the muffler and go to your local auto parts store and get a 3" turndown and a hanger and dump it after the resonator under the rear of the cab. It sounds almost identical to the MBRP turndown exhaust, and cost me about 25$. The resonator is basically a strait through muffler. Another benifit, is ditching the huge muffler and tailpipe assy cut a good 75lbs off the truck easy.

OP
OP
shooterAMG

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I thought about doing a resonator delete on my Screw. My buddy who owns the shop could easily cut it out and weld in some straight pipe. It'll add a little sound for an easy fix. But if I'm going to head to the city for some welding, I'll probably do a muffler too.

Seriously I need a cheaper hobby.

SterlingE55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha I sympathize with your issues. I have to split time and money between the E55 and the Raptor. SUCKS! And I've definitely gone too far on a daily before (My S10 and WS6) and will not be doing that again. No more suspension lowering mods! But Weistec for the E55...definitely. The E55 I will let myself go too far on but the Raptor needs to stay tame for long trips and reliability. I look forward to hearing about your Raptor exhaust solution.