How to claim custom bumper in insurance claim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the idiot next to me decided she wanted to tear a hole in the side of her lexus with my front bumper at 6am this morning destroying the linex and bending the top tube and the support tube slightly.

Now this is a custom bumper that I built how do I claim it on her insurance? Provide comparable bumpers and go from there?

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One of a kind, like artwork, gotta be worth big bucks. Not to mention the emotional value.

Yeah I was thinking at least a million bucks, or at least enough to cover the buckets of sweat produced and gallons **** cheap beer drank producing this thing.

But in all seriousness they should do like for like no?

Not that the top tube of this bumper isn't used to being beaten up @RDFTS seemed to a broken in in pretty well in its previous life.

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously though, should be like for like, and your claim is going to cost them a whole bunch less than what they will pay out on that Lexus, so me personally would not put up with too much dickering ******** from the insurance company.

ckanderson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking at least a million bucks, or at least enough to cover the buckets of sweat produced and gallons **** cheap beer drank producing this thing.

But in all seriousness they should do like for like no?

Not that the top tube of this bumper isn't used to being beaten up @RDFTS seemed to a broken in in pretty well in its previous life.

They might only pay for a stock bumper, but IIRC the stock lower bumper is pretty expensive. But I would send them a link to a RPG or SVC bumper that looks like yours and ask for reimbursement plus shipping and labor to install.

D

Deleted member 12951

@t_j, The insurance company paid for the cost of a new SVC bumper for me plus shipping and labor to remove and install.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends on your policy. aftermarket equipment is touchy with some companies. i know farmers pays only up to $1000 for aftermarket accessories if you dont add the endorsment.

D

Deleted member 12951

depends on your policy. aftermarket equipment is touchy with some companies. i know farmers pays only up to $1000 for aftermarket accessories if you dont add the endorsment.

How Allstate worked for me, is they also only pay up to $1000 for aftermarket but that was over the cost of the oem bumper. The oem bumper and skid plate was way over $2,000.

When you add up the oem front bumper and all the hardware, its crazy.
BUMPER & COMPONENTS - FRONT for 2014 Ford F-150

The skid plate and hardware alone retails over $1500.
FRAME & COMPONENTS for 2014 Ford F-150

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Well this isn't going on my insurance its going on hers under collision so it should be covered no?

How Allstate worked for me, is they also only pay up to $1000 for aftermarket but that was over the cost of the oem bumper. The oem bumper and skid plate was way over $2,000.

When you add up the oem front bumper and all the hardware, its crazy.
BUMPER & COMPONENTS - FRONT for 2014 Ford F-150

The skid plate and hardware alone retails over $1500.
FRAME & COMPONENTS for 2014 Ford F-150

Good info here thanks!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well this isn't going on my insurance its going on hers under collision so it should be covered no?

Good info here thanks!
yes, you are right. so at this point just push for a payout for oem replacement cost. however, make sure theres no other damage to the truck first

---------- Post added at 06:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

tbey need a dollar figure they can use. since its a custom built bumper that you made, there is no dollar figure they can associate with it. since oem is more expensive than aftermarket, i say push for oem replacement, and buy more materials to build a other