How I ran a wiring harness from rear to front for backup lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bookmarked, very nice! Did you use a relay at all or did you just splice the wire from the reverse and the wire running from the aux together?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for this info ! Imma get some on order to tie up the Trucks electrical harness as well. Grab it from hanging under the frame.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bookmarked, very nice! Did you use a relay at all or did you just splice the wire from the reverse and the wire running from the aux together?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I just spliced them together. There is already a relay and fuse on the AUX circuit and on the circuit for the reverse line on the trailer harness.

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just spliced them together. There is already a relay and fuse on the AUX circuit and on the circuit for the reverse line on the trailer harness.

Ok great, my main concern was that the reverse lights would turn on when supplying power to the flush mount lights via the AUX switch, which in turn would power the reverse wire in the trailer plug.

It sounds like that is not the case and will be a very simple installation job.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok great, my main concern was that the reverse lights would turn on when supplying power to the flush mount lights via the AUX switch, which in turn would power the reverse wire in the trailer plug.

It sounds like that is not the case and will be a very simple installation job.

In that case it would probably turn on reverse lights on a trailer if you had one connected, but it will not light the reverse lights on the truck since that is a separate circuit.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just use a fish tape and pull the wires through the frame?

It was easy enough to pull the wires for my rear amber(which is mounted to the front of the bed) through the frame from the back of the cab to the very front under the hood.

Teej119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you for this. I'll be stealing this idea when I buy mine! It even looks like it was meant to be this way.

Madim

Reaction score
I looked into running my wires along the frame on the passenger side as well, but my concern was that right above the axle, the wires would be pretty close to the exhaust and I didn't want to take a chance of anything melting and shorting. I guess you haven't had any issues yet? I do like the clips you found, I might have to get a few of them myself. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Shark

Shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked into running my wires along the frame on the passenger side as well, but my concern was that right above the axle, the wires would be pretty close to the exhaust and I didn't want to take a chance of anything melting and shorting. I guess you haven't had any issues yet? I do like the clips you found, I might have to get a few of them myself. Thanks for sharing.

I took a look underneath this evening. The wire loom is about two inches from the pipes at one point but I didn't see any heat effects at all, looks brand new. I have driven at highway speeds quite a bit since installation, but probably not for longer than 30-40 mins at a time.