Hot shower heat exchanger install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machtig

Reaction score
I have a Glind heat exchanger that is used for heating water for showering, dishes, etc. when overlanding or camping. It uses the vehicles coolant system to heat the fresh water side of the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is typically plumbed into the heater core circuit of the vehicle but on our Raptors (and other 3.5 ecoboosts) there is a cabin heater coolant pump in the circuit (see diagram). Does anyone know under what conditions this pump is switched on. For the heat exchanger to function efficiently, there needs to be flow through it. I would assume the pump comes on if the cabin thermostat is high enough or maxed out hot which would be fine since one typically isn’t in the cabin while showering . I’ve searched the internet but can’t find any documentation on this aux coolant pump other than how to remove and install. @FordTechOne I would be most grateful with any insight you might provide.

Attachments

• 35C2D6E4-4CDC-481A-911A-C6566D7A1931.jpeg
    35C2D6E4-4CDC-481A-911A-C6566D7A1931.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 27

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know this isn't the answer, but it got me thinking about the future of vehicles, what will a person use when vehicles are electric? Could you not preheat a bucket of water with an electric heater?

OP
OP
M

machtig

Reaction score
Thank you sir. So during normal operation and idling coolant is flowing through the heater core circuit?