High speed offroading with toolboxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

radio_man

Reaction score
When driving high speed 60+ MPH on rougher roads/on whoops/etc is there a risk to damaging the truck bed from the weight of a loaded toolbox? I am considering buying a toolchest from Weatherguard to go under my tonneau. Obviously it needs to be installed correctly, but there will be a lot of weight from tools inside the box. Would I be better served with a rack for the spare tire that also has tool storage?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All I know from experience is: whatever is in the box must be tied down without zero movement! If you have a toolbox bolted down but have a bunch of loose tools in there, those will cause damage to the box and the tools itself. The vibration is something else when high speed driving on dirt/sand with whoops, etc for long periods

marilynsride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure about gen 2 but with my gen 1 it didnt matter: load or no load, any serious offroading torgued and twisted that bed so bad; well lets just put it this way; when i finally go to a bypass rack i will not flinch cutting holes in the bed

D

Deleted member 12951

My container in the bed was on the driver side and I broke my bed on the passenger side. I was also carrying two knuckles along with other parts and box is heavy. I used some HF blankets to keep things padded and tight in the box. I put my tools in the cab tied down with d-rings along with all my other luggage and such covered with a cargo net.

I have a bed rack that holds the box along with spare, jack and two fivers.

I don't think the box is what broke the bed though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sano Dano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do many miles in the desert and Baja, I use canvas tool rolls and put them in a small "Packer" tote which is strapped down in my bed rack.
The trick is after you load the Packer with your tools and what not, use a folded heavy towel to take up the remaining space.

I do the towel trick in my cooler also to keep everything from bouncing around.

These work well and are well made.
https://www.atlas46.com/products.html#!/Tool-Roll-Pouch-XL/p/47853420

Attachments

• IMG_4298.JPG
    IMG_4298.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
OP
OP
radio_man

radio_man

Reaction score
My container in the bed was on the driver side and I broke my bed on the passenger side. I was also carrying two knuckles along with other parts and box is heavy. I used some HF blankets to keep things padded and tight in the box. I put my tools in the cab tied down with d-rings along with all my other luggage and such covered with a cargo net.

I have a bed rack that holds the box along with spare, jack and two fivers.

I don't think the box is what broke the bed though.

Yeah I was thinking about padding for gear more susceptible to damage like an air pump, but as space fillers is a good idea too. I have to admit a bit of ignorance in terminology. Knuckles are steering knuckles I'm assuming, but what about fivers?

I do many miles in the desert and Baja, I use canvas tool rolls and put them in a small "Packer" tote which is strapped down in my bed rack.
The trick is after you load the Packer with your tools and what not, use a folded heavy towel to take up the remaining space.

I do the towel trick in my cooler also to keep everything from bouncing around.

These work well and are well made.
https://www.atlas46.com/products.html#!/Tool-Roll-Pouch-XL/p/47853420

I like the tool rolls and they aren't too expensive either. A towel in your cooler too... What, you don't drink your beer well shaken? :biggrin:

This was actually inspired by heavy duty tool rolls and I had forgotten that even though I own one. Canadian Prepper - Bug Out Roll Never really looked into bed racks. Maybe I can even find something that works under a tonneau.

D

Deleted member 12951

Yeah I was thinking about padding for gear more susceptible to damage like an air pump, but as space fillers is a good idea too. I have to admit a bit of ignorance in terminology. Knuckles are steering knuckles I'm assuming, but what about fivers?

I like the tool rolls and they aren't too expensive either. A towel in your cooler too... What, you don't drink your beer well shaken? :biggrin:

Yes steering knuckles, they tend to snap under the UCA. I have reinforced Knuckles now (must have). And someone already provided that fivers means gas cans, sorry. I tried the towel in the cooler and it did work for me, need more towels. My beer was still popped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc