GEN 2 Help...late allocation '17 Depreciation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
Are you willing to wait?
How bad do you want AG?

I haven't seen any 18 DORAS yet... so who knows about that. Imo we all went through hell and back to get our 17's if you can get in one do it. Cause it'll most likely be the same shit show for the 18's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this. And imo, condition and mileage trumps year. For instance, I could've picked up a newer GTR when I was searching, but I went with a super clean 2012 (DBA) with only 2,800 miles vs 2013's and 14's with like 8k-10k miles.

Because OP, I'm in the same exact boat as you. And I really don't feel like going through the hunt and the ******** again, plus I gave the dealer my word, picked the exact truck I wanted etc. Now, if the 18 came with more power, something significant etc, then ya I'd go for the 18. But it's the same damn truck.

On the same topic, does anybody think that the last of the last built 17's will have the "kinks" worked out of them? Or do they change NOTHING until the trucks are "MY2018"? Because they're being built basically the same time right? I just can't see them tweaking something on the 2018's in a couple weeks and NOT doing anything on the remaining 17's to be built. This is assuming they ARE doing something different for the bugs that some of the 17's had

sobiloff

Reaction score
I bought the last '17 allocation my dealer got. I paid MSRP. I'm getting it built exactly the way I want, in (IMHO) a really great color (Avalanche), and due to some other factors I need the truck sooner rather than later so I don't want to wait for an '18 MSRP allocation to pop up.

Unless you plan on flipping it, the depreciation between the '17 and the '18 will be negligible once you take delivery of either one.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
As long as you don't plan on reselling it right away I wouldn't worry about an 18. Consider it a low mileage jump start. And these trucks don't depreciate like most vehicles either. Guys still selling G1's for 45-50k. Get the color you want.

This

sobiloff

Reaction score
On the same topic, does anybody think that the last of the last built 17's will have the "kinks" worked out of them? Or do they change NOTHING until the trucks are "MY2018"? Because they're being built basically the same time right? I just can't see them tweaking something on the 2018's in a couple weeks and NOT doing anything on the remaining 17's to be built. This is assuming they ARE doing something different for the bugs that some of the 17's had

No, late '17s aren't going to have '18 tweaks. That's not how modern manufacturing at scale happens. They finish building '17s, shut the line down and do a turn-around to gear up for '18s.

chi_weezy

Reaction score
No, late '17s aren't going to have '18 tweaks. That's not how modern manufacturing at scale happens. They finish building '17s, shut the line down and do a turn-around to gear up for '18s.

Ah. Gotchya, thanks. And I haven't seen anything about changes to the 18's regarding certain oil leaks the 17's were having, or any other "bugs" so hopefully they remain the same :) Minus the B&O and other obvious stuff

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
As long as you don't plan on reselling it right away I wouldn't worry about an 18. Consider it a low mileage jump start. And these trucks don't depreciate like most vehicles either. Guys still selling G1's for 45-50k. Get the color you want.

You are correct- just the gen 1s holding value well. The gen 2 has slid in perceived value due to the associated ecoboost catastrophe.

Advice to OP - find a low mileage loaded gen 1, and you will have an awesome, problem free truck that will only go up in value. I found a 25k mile 2013 that was loaded for $47k. Awesome deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dirtgod

Reaction score
forging ahead with the '17 it is

It's a truck not a high dollar Porsche. Getting the color you want is the most important. Don't worry about depreciation. If you're like me, I keep my truck for about five years so the depreciation between the '17-'18 will be minimal when it's time to sell. Avalanche is a one year color. If that's the color you want then the opportunity is now.

LOL..this one hit home as I have a pristine 2010 PDK Turbo and a '15 GT-R both of which mostly sit on battery tenders and have 5k and 1k miles on them respectively. I have a POS daily driver (relative..its a little '13 ISF) and want the truck to replace the lexus so I need to get what I want and not worry about the depreciation--- I worry enough about that on my other two garage queens.
Thanks for the slap in the head fellas!! Forums are good for that. Very excited about the AG paint anyway.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are correct- just the gen 1s holding value well. The gen 2 has slid in perceived value due to the associated ecoboost catastrophe.

Advice to OP - find a low mileage loaded gen 1, and you will have an awesome, problem free truck that will only go up in value. I found a 25k mile 2013 that was loaded for $47k. Awesome deal.

Dumbest post ever!

Gen2 slid in "perceived value" - how is life in your perceived world of ridiculousness?

"Find a low mileage loaded Gen1" instead of buying a new 2017 - you are insane. He wants a Gen2 - he's not living in your delirious world of fantasy.

OP: Buy the 2017. You appear to have been waiting so long you're paralyzed by analysis.

If it's the color and options you want buy the damn truck then get out and drive it and spend less time here!