Help before I buy a toyhauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Nothing at all. There are no restrictions when it comes to towing on a personal auto policy. You are covered either way.

You are probably right. After seeing your post I did a quick search on this because I've seen others talk about this and never put much thought in to it. Not being covered by insurance seem logical when you think about how insurance companies screw people over...

Turns out this kind of talk came from an insurance company trying to weasel out of a claim, had a truck/trailer weighed after an accident and used all kinds of excuses to deny the claim. Insurance company lost their bet.

Anyway... something learned today thanks. I still think it's a bad idea to exceed the max weight...

biggiebigs

Reaction score
Ok I'll make this quick I have a 2013 raptor crew cab and have aftermarket wheels and heavy duty tires along with the aftermarket SDHQ rear long travel airbag setup and I'm looking to buy a 2016 eclipse attitude 281 toyhauler and just wanting people's opinion on if I should be ok to tow it? Trailer Dry weight is 7280 Axle weight is 6220 Gvwr is 9900 Hitch weight is 1060 Also gonna be putting a Rzr 1000 4 seater in it.
I have the same trailer and I tow it with my 2013 raptor. Where did you get the weight from? Mine weighs in about 8400 pounds dry. I think the website is wrong.

OP
OP
dirtfan54

dirtfan54

Reaction score
The trailer maxed out(which I doubt I will be able to) is only 1900 pounds over what ford rates the vehicle. We all know they only list towing at 2/3 of what trucks can actually tow plus my bags probably add 1500-2000 more load capacity so I went ahead and already pulled the trigger on it, pick it up Wednesday.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

I have the same trailer and I tow it with my 2013 raptor. Where did you get the weight from? Mine weighs in about 8400 pounds dry. I think the website is wrong.

I got it off the dealers site and eclipse website, ill check again tho.
have any issues??

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not being covered by insurance seem logical when you think about how insurance companies screw people over...

Turns out this kind of talk came from an insurance company trying to weasel out of a claim, had a truck/trailer weighed after an accident and used all kinds of excuses to deny the claim. Insurance company lost their bet.

Anyway... something learned today thanks. I still think it's a bad idea to exceed the max weight...

I absolutely agree you should not exceed the max weight in any circumstance, covered or not. I have been in the insurance industry my entire adult life. The majority of the time it is not the company ******** anyone over, it is the customers lack of understanding of what their policy covers. This isnt the 80's anymore. Laws tell insurance companies what they can and cannot do. I do not know the specifics related to the loss you are talking about but the issue may have stemmed from a bodily injury case. I guess I should have been more specific. The property damage caused by your truck and or trailer would be covered by your insurance company no problem. If someone is injured, attorneys will look for anything they can to place more liability on the at fault party. So on the property damage side you would be fine but your insurance company may not fight on your behalf for that part of the claim IF you knowingly exceeded the towing weight of the vehicle. All depends on the amount of damage and the extent of the investigation your adjuster does. /thread jack

biggiebigs

Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I bought it. But when they weighed it, it came out to 8200 or 8400. Make a long store short I Bought it anyways and the truck tows just fine. Yes you will be over weight but it is what it is. lol. That same motor in a F150 can tow 11500lbs. I usually tow it full of water and then at my last stop fill it with gas.

The trailer maxed out(which I doubt I will be able to) is only 1900 pounds over what ford rates the vehicle. We all know they only list towing at 2/3 of what trucks can actually tow plus my bags probably add 1500-2000 more load capacity so I went ahead and already pulled the trigger on it, pick it up Wednesday.

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 PM ----------

I got it off the dealers site and eclipse website, ill check again tho.
have any issues??

Marylandm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to de-rail the topic here.. But I am planning on towing around 7700-8000 pounds with mine. From what I've read on here, are you towing heavier loads using just an equalizer hitch? or 4" bump stops as well? or something else too? lol

Marylandm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't mean to de-rail the topic here.. But I am planning on towing around 7700-8000 pounds with mine. From what I've read on here, are you towing heavier loads using just an equalizer hitch? or 4" bump stops as well? or something else too? lol

Bump. lol

39Mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with the one guy if wanted to tow something that big and loaded with toys you should have bought a Super Duty. I've towed quite a few different car trailers with Super Duty's and E350 Van from a Diesel to the 6.8 V10 and you might have some issues towing that much weight. Also, consider the damage it might do to the truck towing that much weight