HARD 1-2 shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I know, dead horse. BUT, I haven’t found anything that’s exactly like what I’m experiencing.
2019 SCREW, 78k miles, Goose TCM.
About a month or so ago, started having delay followed by HARD 1-2 shift. Most when cold. At first it went away once the trans temp was about 120, last night did it up to 150. I have zero issues with other gears, no down shifting issues, no issues going into D or R, no codes. I’ve had the truck for 12k miles, not sure on the trans service history. Ford told me they don’t touch them until 150k which sounds crazy. I’m going to check the fluid tomorrow if I can manage to get it up to temp, and perform the relearn. Anything else? Thinking about taking it in and have them flush, or just drain and fill. Any insight would be appreciated. Pic for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.jpeg
    IMG_0982.jpeg
    193.9 KB · Views: 6

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do not flush a transmission. Ford, and most OEMs, have released bulletins that state transmissions should never be flushed. This is because it dislodges debris and then pushes it through the valve body, causing damage to solenoids and valves.

The proper way to service the transmission is to drop the pan, replace the filter, and refill. The transmission temperature needs to be 206-215 degrees F when checking the fluid level. That needs to be verified with a scan tool, as the transmission won’t get that hot at idle.

OP
OP
NorCal Offroad
Reaction score
Do not flush a transmission. Ford, and most OEMs, have released bulletins that state transmissions should never be flushed. This is because it dislodges debris and then pushes it through the valve body, causing damage to solenoids and valves.

The proper way to service the transmission is to drop the pan, replace the filter, and refill. The transmission temperature needs to be 206-215 degrees F when checking the fluid level. That needs to be verified with a scan tool, as the transmission won’t get that hot at idle.
Thank you @FordTechOne ! Not sure why they offered to add trans flush to my last drain and fill. I’ll start with the fluid level. Is this a symptom of low fluid?

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time i've seen a trans flush recommended is when GM was having issues with their trans in the Gen6 Camaro shuttering, they did multiple full fluid flushes there with a special machine but as I understand it was often on very low mile cars.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does scan tool temp differ from the reading in the cab? Only time I’ve had a 215 trans temp is going up a mountain pass, towing a trailer, or really hoofing it when it’s 105 degrees outside.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does scan tool temp differ from the reading in the cab? Only time I’ve had a 215 trans temp is going up a mountain pass, towing a trailer, or really hoofing it when it’s 105 degrees outside.
Nope, should read the same. That’s why it can be difficult to get a good reading, it needs to be above normal operating temperature.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats such an odd choice of design. I guess that means the mechanics will need to drive it pretty wild before they bring it into the bay. lol