Got my Raptor Opti-Coated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man your truck looks good. Never heard of this Opti-Coat but I'm liking what I see so far.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not sure if it was the same brand/location, but I bought an F430 on Long Island back in 2007 that had this done, by 2009 after moving back to Texas it had visibly yellowed in the Texas sun, kind of turned me off of these paint -no wax sealants.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Runs about $800 and it's like having an added layer of clear coat...he's done so many cars from Teslas to your everyday cars since everyone finds this layer of protection useful. I will definitely be putting it to test in the coming months.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

I found this one: Chicago Auto Pros Detailing - Authorized Chicago Opti-Coat Pro installer | Chicago Auto Pros

The Tesla guys in that area used that one: Opti-Coat Pro in the Western Suburbs

I read the comments by customers in one of these links and they said they could see a lot of swirls etc after a few washings. That would concern me, because I may be wrong, but I heard wax or sealant won't stick to opt-coat. I know it's more work, but I don't think you can beat a good sealant and wax.

OP
OP
NJStangersJonathan

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man your truck looks good. Never heard of this Opti-Coat but I'm liking what I see so far.

Thank you and I'm sure the technology and process has come along way so I'm hoping I don't see any of those side effects.

As far as I noticed, the Raptor has more glossy look to it then when I bought it and I believe that's due to what he did it.......I haven't washed it yet or driven it much but time will tell how well it handles.

OP
OP
NJStangersJonathan

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely will be more cautious with it, especially until it cures.

He even took care of some scuff mark.

Before:
attachment.php

After:
attachment.php

Some more shots of the Opti-Coat attached below.

Attachments

• Before-Scuff.jpg
    Before-Scuff.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 147
  • After-Scuff.jpg
    After-Scuff.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Opti-Coat-After2.jpg
    Opti-Coat-After2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Opti-Coat-After1.jpg
    Opti-Coat-After1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Opti-Coat-After3.jpg
    Opti-Coat-After3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Opti-Coat-After5.jpg
    Opti-Coat-After5.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Opti-Coat-After6.jpg
    Opti-Coat-After6.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Opti-Coat-After4.jpg
    Opti-Coat-After4.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 25

Gotbitn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having never had or seen a vehicle that has been Opti-coated it just looks like another snake oil product to me. I don't see how such a small amount of it would provide any more protection over a good glaze, sealer and wax application.
I would have to see a vehicle with it applied to ever even consider it.

OP
OP
NJStangersJonathan

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having never had or seen a vehicle that has been Opti-coated it just looks like another snake oil product to me. I don't see how such a small amount of it would provide any more protection over a good glaze, sealer and wax application.

Definitely worth researching it. Google is my best friend. I always research any product before I use it. There's tons of forum/blog and video reviews on testing these products on cars and their results over 1-2 years.

Wax is always nice but it's a pita when you have graphics.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It looks great too me. I did read some info on the Tesla forums, and it looks like it should be redone about every 2 years to keep the vehicle looking great. It will still get scratches and swirls like any other clear coat, so you need to care for you paint when you wash it. Just seems like a lot of money every couple of years. But at least the scratches and swirls will be in the Opt-coat and not in the trucks clear coat.