Gen 3 exhaust pops and bangs, but does it harm?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moetor

Reaction score
Hello everyone
So I noticed that gen 3 exhaust can make pops and bangs sounds. It requires me to put the gear into neutral while driving at slow speeds, and then revving the engine while still moving, then when on full stop i switch back the gear into drive and I continue driving.
My question is does putting the gear into N while driving and revving the engine harm the transmission or the engine?
I know that putting it back to D while in motion could harm and puts extra wear.
Thank you

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just driving down Mt Washington in Nh, had my Gen3 in manual, mostly 1st gear, and was hearing the pops and bangs. I was surprised it was doing that but liked it.

OP
OP
M

Moetor

Reaction score
I was just driving down Mt Washington in Nh, had my Gen3 in manual, mostly 1st gear, and was hearing the pops and bangs. I was surprised it was doing that but liked it.
Yes it does some minor pops on first gear when letting off the gas paddle

BIGW0RM

Highest Access Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish mine did that! I hear a pop every so often. But nothing like THAT.

OP
OP
M

Moetor

Reaction score
I wish mine did that! I hear a pop every so often. But nothing like THAT.
You have to do what I did to do that, am not sure if it harms honstly.
So basically when the rpm is at around 2, put the gear into neutral and then rev the engine to 4rpm and it will pop and bang like crazy
Hope it doesn’t harm the transmission

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Just make sure you put the D back to where it was and no harm will come of it. Sorry I had to.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to do what I did to do that, am not sure if it harms honstly.
So basically when the rpm is at around 2, put the gear into neutral and then rev the engine to 4rpm and it will pop and bang like crazy
Hope it doesn’t harm the transmission
You’re banging it off of the rev limiter; the engine speed it limited to 4K RPM in neutral. The noise you’re hearing is the PCM cutting spark to the engine to prevent over speed, which results in raw fuel combusting in the exhaust. That can cause catalytic converter damage; raw fuel causes them to overheat and degrade.