GEN 2 Gen 2 Raptor popping/binding in 4HI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillysmith17

Reaction score
I’ve got a 2017 Raptor 103k recently put fox factory 3.0 shocks on. I started to notice a grinding in the front from the iwe’s replace both driver and passenger side along with solenoid. Sound came back so I’ve been leaving the solenoid unplugged. When I’m driving on the beach everything is fine for a few miles then once I’m in the soft sand and giving more throttle to keep moving I get a sharp pop from the drivers front side it seems almost like a binding in the cv axle. I even found some hard sand and put it in 2 wheel and gave some gas and it still was doing it. If anyone has any ideas feel free to post I’m thinking maybe my cv joints may be bad but I’m not sure worst case front diff

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IWEs need to be installed in the compressed state and engagement to the hub needs to be confirmed as well. If they were installed improperly they’ll be damaged.

Is the truck modified besides the Fox 3.0? Is it at factory ride height? Did you properly torque all of the fasteners during installation? The lower shock bolt needs to be torqued to 406 lb-ft with the suspension at ride height. Most people have no way of achieving that torque spec in their driveway.

When you have a chance, it’s customary to introduce yourself in the new members section with some pics.

OP
OP
D

dillysmith17

Reaction score
I did not know that the iwe needed to be compressed during install. And no other mods than 3.0s about a 2 inch lift from preload on shocks from fox and they are torqued to 406 but not when it was under load on the ground. And also didn’t know about posting as a new member I don’t know where the new member section is

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IWEs need to be installed in the compressed state and engagement to the hub needs to be confirmed as well. If they were installed improperly they’ll be damaged.

Is the truck modified besides the Fox 3.0? Is it at factory ride height? Did you properly torque all of the fasteners during installation? The lower shock bolt needs to be torqued to 406 lb-ft with the suspension at ride height. Most people have no way of achieving that torque spec in their driveway.

When you have a chance, it’s customary to introduce yourself in the new members section with some pics.
Because I do not recall looking nor yet have I removed my own, I assume the lower shock bolts are running through molded rubber bushings being they need to be torqued at ride height? Interesting and I believe unusual for this type of unit. I'd guess to keep NHV down for mass production?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because I do not recall looking nor yet have I removed my own, I assume the lower shock bolts are running through molded rubber bushings being they need to be torqued at ride height? Interesting and I believe unusual for this type of unit. I'd guess to keep NHV down for mass production?
Yes, at ride height. Same principle for all suspension bushings of the same design, including control arms. If it’s torqued with the suspension extended, the bushing will be damaged as the suspension compresses.

OP
OP
D

dillysmith17

Reaction score
The fox 3.0s don’t have rubber bushings it’s a metal uniball. I’m more concerned with my 4wd problems but if it’s just the iwe’s I’ll get replacement ones

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, at ride height. Same principle for all suspension bushings of the same design, including control arms. If it’s torqued with the suspension extended, the bushing will be damaged as the suspension compresses.
There by confirming they "down graded" for an OE application from bearings to rubber bushings was my point I guess.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There by confirming they "down graded" for an OE application from bearings to rubber bushings was my point I guess.
Not sure what you’re after…no OE application I’ve ever seen uses bearings on the lower shock mount. That would be an NVH and wear nightmare.

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I have more experience with aftermarket than "OEM". Used to starting with a bearing and now see Raptor specific "kits" are made to convert the Fox Raptor rubber bushings to bearings. Got way off topic but was surprised when you said it had to be torqued at ride height indicating to me it was a rubber bushing vs bearing.
1698287687060.png
As a side note, the OE bushings are less maintenance for my (most's) use case. I get it now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter