Fuel For the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bdub85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course there is a difference. That's why your vehicle has knock sensors and an ECU that will pull timing from your shit gas. People putting 87 in a high boost motor (and 20psi is HIGH boost) are idiots.

I wouldn't put anything less than 91 in these trucks. I know the manual says 87 is fine, and I'm sure it is. I just wouldn't want the engine to knock at all and pull timing like you said.

Also, I will only run top tier gas in any vehicle. Home | Top Tier Gas It makes a difference. I've seen it proven on a dyno.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course there is a difference. That's why your vehicle has knock sensors and an ECU that will pull timing from your shit gas. People putting 87 in a high boost motor (and 20psi is HIGH boost) are idiots.

I think you screen name suits you perfect. Why do people have to be idiots for running a fuel the manual says is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer filled it up with 87 and I averaged 17 for city/highway. (17.2) Just refilled with 93 when tank was 1/5 full. So it is probably at 92 now. Reset, and averaged 21 MPG on 12 mile stretch on highway, but that isn't a large enough sample to be conclusive. However, I know the tonneau cover decreases drag.

My subsequent fills will most likely be 91. Which means I have to do half 89 and half 93 since there are no 91 pumps around. This will be tedious as I have stop fueling and reauthorize for the second octane. So if I am in a rush/lazy, I may only do 89.

Long story short.. I will be 91 90% of the time. Lowest I will go is 89, and that is not often.

conflict

Reaction score
I think you screen name suits you perfect. Why do people have to be idiots for running a fuel the manual says is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idiots is probably the wrong I word. Ignorant is more fitting. If someone doesn't mind purposefully causing misfires (which do damage) resulting in ECU pull timing (and possibly boost) resulting in a measurable decrease of performance... then yeah, the manual says it's fine.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this the first Ford performance vehicle that can take 87?
Or is it more common(GT350/RS) now with the sensors?

Seemed like every boosted car/truck SVT made was required to run 91+.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On my 3.5 gen 1 Ecoboost F150 I ran 87 a little at first, but got some knock. the last straw was when it went into limp mode on the highway. 91+ only after that and never had another single limp mode or misfire for 70k miles

I will only run 91+ when my raptor arrives. Its a high powered turbo vehicle, it likes high octane.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idiots is probably the wrong I word. Ignorant is more fitting. If someone doesn't mind purposefully causing misfires (which do damage) resulting in ECU pull timing (and possibly boost) resulting in a measurable decrease of performance... then yeah, the manual says it's fine.
Hilarious you're calling us idiots. The engine is designed to accept 87 octane as are many turbocharged DI engines, just like there are many that require 91+.

Boost pressure is only one component of octane requirements. I have my AMG tuned for 91 all day long and it makes 4 more psi than my Raptor. Do you know what shape combustion chambers the Ecoboost has? Cylinder pressures and cam profile? Timing curves? Fueling strategy between port and DI? The boost profile? IAT's? Everyone's altitude? Humidity? Local fuel quality and carbon buildup?

No? OK, maybe just follow the manual before calling people ignorant or idiots. It says you can use regular unleaded unless you're in adverse conditions and run into issues, or want maximum peak power. It usually doesn't even effect peak torque or gas mileage on a turbo engine because timing pull occurs at high RPM and high load. And it definitely will NOT damage your engine because knock sensors pull timing well before you will encounter damage.