GEN 2 Front Camera Malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Unfortunately not. Bought it as a trade in from a Toyota dealer in Atlanta, ga. I just had it at the dealership due to the sunroof being stuck open, oil plug leaking post VCT repair, and passenger axle seal leaking. They only charged me for the sunroof but that was still $587.00. They replaced both rails and shield. I mentioned the camera not working and the 2020 recall and service advisor said they couldn't cover. I bought the camera for 67.00 thru another local ford dealer and thought I could do myself. Stuck my foot in it royally as before camera was poor but now I can't even get it up on display.

Did you buy the truck brand new? Ford is usually pretty good about helping out with post warranty repairs if you're a loyal customer.

As far as the camera, it uses a weatherpack seal, which is the industry standard. I'm surprised to see the amount of corrosion on yours for a Florida vehicle; that is pretty bad. How does the harness side of the camera connector look? With the component (camera) side being that corroded, the harness side is probably no better. You may need to have a new pigtail soldered on to the harness to restore camera function. Whenever the camera is replaced, the 360 alignment procedure needs to be performed, which requires special mats and the Ford scan tool (IDS). That is why your 360 camera function is not operating properly.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. Bought it as a trade in from a Toyota dealer in Atlanta, ga. I just had it at the dealership due to the sunroof being stuck open, oil plug leaking post VCT repair, and passenger axle seal leaking. They only charged me for the sunroof but that was still $587.00. They replaced both rails and shield. I mentioned the camera not working and the 2020 recall and service advisor said they couldn't cover. I bought the camera for 67.00 thru another local ford dealer and thought I could do myself. Stuck my foot in it royally as before camera was poor but now I can't even get it up on display.

What year is the truck? The camera recall was only for 2020 models within a specific build date range.

You’re best bet will probably be to have the dealer solder in the new wiring pigtail and perform the 360 camera alignment procedure.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2017. Dealer wants to do a Diagnosis and thinks it will be 2.5 hour labor to replace harness (40 bucks) and calibration. Sound about right?

Point them to existing TSB, probably will save time you and them:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...pany-issues-one-safety-compliance-recall.html

Granted that is for 2020 trucks, the issue appears to be the same.

Affected vehicles have insufficient electrical conductivity within the printed circuit board internal to the camera. A rearview camera that intermittently displays a blank or distorted image would not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and requires corrective action by the manufacturer.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Point them to existing TSB, probably will save time you and them:

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...pany-issues-one-safety-compliance-recall.html

Granted that is for 2020 trucks, the issue appears to be the same.

The TSB for 2020 models is unrelated; that issue was caused by an internal issue with the camera itself. Jax’s issue is water intrusion/corrosion in the harness connection, which can be caused by anything from a faulty seal to the front end being submerged in water by the previous owner.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
They only charged me for the sunroof but that was still $587.00. They replaced both rails and shield

that’s a smokin’ deal on the moon roof repair!

I’d probably replace the harness myself with the part then have the stealership perform the rest of the work. Of course, in my life, there will be something wrong with the new harness I just bought, incurring another 4 hours of troubleshooting so it’s probably wise to read what I’d do as a cautionary tale, rather than an example.

Reaction score
that’s a smokin’ deal on the moon roof repair!

I’d probably replace the harness myself with the part then have the stealership perform the rest of the work. Of course, in my life, there will be something wrong with the new harness I just bought, incurring another 4 hours of troubleshooting so it’s probably wise to read what I’d do as a cautionary tale, rather than an example.

I normally do the same. Thought I was getting away lucky in doing the camera myself the first time. If I were a betting man they'll say the new camera I put in is bad as well and will have to buy a new camera, new harness, and the calibration. As long as I don't have to pay for the module that controls it all I will consider it a win.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Some of us were put on this planet to serve as cautionary examples for others. :)

Everybody’s got a skill.

Topical post. I got a prompt that there was a front cam. malfunction / service soon tonight. hit ok, checked cameras... they were fine.

Fluke?
Lucille pissed she hasn’t had a bath for a few months?
got service next week anyway.