Fox 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsun

Reaction score
Hello, New to the forum and welcome to any advice or help. I have a 2013 raptor I installed fox 3.0 all the way around 2k miles ago. Since day one the fronts have had lower bearing clunk over bumps or on rebound (like most people have) the biggest issue is on the road the fronts ride great, city highway etc. as soon as you get offroad they ride terrible. Over washboards or small rocks the shocks feel like they don’t even try to soak anything up all the force is transferred into the truck and my wifes and I body. They are non dsc 3.0. The rears I am extremely happy with. Is there something I’m missing or is this just nature of the beast? Most of our off-roading in Arizona is mid to low speed bumpy trails and it basically just shakes you to death the whole time. Any knowledge will help, I am not new to off-roading but I am new to anything “go fast” and anything other than leaf springs.

Attachments

• 206C1D75-E52D-4E49-9CA3-F61D43457258.png
    206C1D75-E52D-4E49-9CA3-F61D43457258.png
    801.3 KB · Views: 46

jessie5150

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my gen 1 2014. Did the fox 3.0 front non DSC and back bypass . Fronts have the same issue that your having. I've searched and searched and came up with nothing . Just got so frustrated and started to throw parts at. Figured I have 150k and oem parts still,I Replaced tie rods inner and outer . Replace LCA bushings . UCA and lower ball joints . Even bought KHC lower shock bolt kit "correctly shanked" ,adjusted steering rack. Torqued everything to spec then even torqued pass the lower shock bolt spec to see if it would change anything . . And still to this day still have the clunk . About 1000miles on them .I did have a small clunk with the oem shocks and that's what lead to buying these fox 3.0 .the oem shocks were basically brand new but the noise wasn't as intense..

There was one member on here who has the same set up. The only difference was, he was running a bit more pre load and had rpg UCA . He confirmed he has no clunk. I just haven't got around messing with the preload yet.

Another member said it's the top and lower bearings not being machined correctly and he bought new bearings and his clunk went away ?
Kinda hard to believe but it is possible.

On dirt roads mine are not as bumpy as you described yours .if you go faster it soaks up the bumps and the clunk goes away but over speed bumps or crappy roads slow,it clunks .
So possibly it can be just the nature of Internal bypass ?
I called fox and explained to them what was happening and all they said was just to make sure everything is torqued correctly and if so that's the nature of the shock ?
I had built GMC Sierra with kings lsk race kit . And I never had that noise . And I beat living crap out of it .
Hopefully this helps and gives you better out look on it .

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats your issue. slow speed bumpy stuff. adjust the preload on them if you want it softer. but these shocks are designed for higher speed stuff. i gaurantee you the faste you go, the better the ride will be

OP
OP
R

rsun

Reaction score
Thank for the reply gentlemen. I am taking the front shocks to TSW here in Arizona soon to get rebuilt and revalved Mabye they will see something I’m not, if they do find something I will make a post about it. Going fast the whole truck at that point is making noise and rattling so it takes away from the front roughness and noise. I completely understand some noise or feel but when it sounds like the shocks are gonna bust off the coil buckets over moderate terrain kinda makes you question. Thanks for the write up Jessie, there’s a lot of people who seem to have a similar problem and I gotta say it’s a little disappointing on such a big investment for some shocks. Hopefully TSW will be able to see something while they have the truck getting revalved.

OP
OP
R

rsun

Reaction score
I have not taken them to TSW yet. I’m rebuilding the stock 2.5s and putting them on the truck. Depending on how happy I am with a fresh set of 2.5s the 3.0s might be sent to them or sold. Year later and they are still just as noisy and rough but no change or leaks after many offroad trips

OP
OP
R

rsun

Reaction score
Rear 3.0 are making a small clunk but not to the point we’re they sound like they’re falling apart and with the QAB adjuster I can adjustment for a better ride when needed. Happy with them

OP
OP
R

rsun

Reaction score
Sorry for the long absence really busy year with buying a new house and more overtime than I needed but took it. Will keep you updated seeing more of this same issues with the 3.0s recently

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can revalve with the flutter stack it will help with small bump compliance and soften the ride a bit