Found a weirdly optioned R and have some questions, looking for thoughts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cornwallis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found an R here in California is still a ridiculous price, but not as ridiculous as most. The odd part is that it doesn't have a moonroof or tailgate step. Moonroof I don't care, it's hot as hell here so I'd rarely use it. The step I want. So, the questions:

1. Does anyone know if a step can be added to the tailgate? Our how much of pain it might be?
2. For some reason this truck has electronically deployed running boards. I find that incredibly strange, but maybe they have some value to an F150 owner? Is anyone making side steps for a Gen 3 yet? I had RPG on a Gen 2 and they were fine. I'll use this truck offroad so do need something I suppose. Maybe I don't have a specific question on this aspect and just am wondering about the group's thoughts.

It's a really odd truck, no doubt.

Xiaofeng Mu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Sunroof and tailgate are of a package, so having none of them is just lack of that package.
2. Solid rock guard is standard on all Gen 3s. Replacing them with electronic-deployed version may not be a wise choice as off-roading will spread gravels on the paint without the running board protection. But still it's possible to do a conversion.
3. Tailgate steps are on recall (at least for my R).