foam cannon v. foam gun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Question: my power washer has the attachment on it to add soap solutions for cleaning the deck and other stuff why can't I add the car wash soap in there?
Thanks

You can, but you won't get a thick lather that clings... more of a soapy water mixture that runs off quickly.

The difference between a true foaming attachment like the MTM and most of the stock detergent tanks that come with a pressure washer is the introduction of air into the process.

Think of it this way - what do you need to make 'bubbles'? Soap, water, and air.

Most detergent tanks siphon in your soap, but do not meter in any amount of air. So you have 2 of the 3 components needed to generate that lather.

Its the same reason you can't use the ortho hose end fertalizer sprayers... they are meant to mix fertalizer + water, but no air introduction.

OP
OP
S

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You'll want a minimum of about 1100psi. Ideally with a GPM of 1.8 or higher, but I've used mine with a gpm down to 1.3 and 1.4 and the drop in performance was negligible.

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll want a minimum of about 1100psi. Ideally with a GPM of 1.8 or higher, but I've used mine with a gpm down to 1.3 and 1.4 and the drop in performance was negligible.

I've already got a Craftsman pressure washer that moves 1.3gpm. It's good to hear that when I do purchase a foam cannon, I wont have to purchase a completely different pressure washer, just so I can get the truck all sudsy.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so would this one work? Amazon.com : AR Blue Clean AR383 1, 900 PSI 1.5 GPM 14 Amp Electric Pressure Washer with Hose Reel : Patio, Lawn & Garden its very highly reviewed on amazon, and i found a couple other pressure washer sites like consumer reports that rated it the best overall for price to performance.... will a good foamer work with it? or will i need to get AR Blue's own one?

and one las question, can you use any soap with these? i still have almost a full gallon of Mother's California Car Wash....

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I already have a similar foam cannon, I cannot seem to get it to lay on thick like your video showed. I am using a special bubble mix for foam cannons from my local detailing shop, but for whatever reason it just doesn't cling on and last.

OP
OP
S

Surf City Garage

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
so would this one work? Amazon.com : AR Blue Clean AR383 1, 900 PSI 1.5 GPM 14 Amp Electric Pressure Washer with Hose Reel : Patio, Lawn & Garden its very highly reviewed on amazon, and i found a couple other pressure washer sites like consumer reports that rated it the best overall for price to performance....

AR makes a great pressure washer IMO... little known fact is that AR (italian based company) makes a lot of the pumps used in other pressure washers. They are pretty much one of the top authorities on pressure washer pumps, so even if you bought something else, odds are it would have an AR pump in it.

will a good foamer work with it? or will i need to get AR Blue's own one?

I've actually used that one pictured in your link and its not very good... shoots more of a soapy water mix, but doesn't foam. I would recommend the MTM Hydro Foam Cannon but in order to make it work with the pressure washer above you will have to build the shorty cannon setup I posted earlier. Those plastic wands don't accept brass quick connects.

and one las question, can you use any soap with these? i still have almost a full gallon of Mother's California Car Wash....

You can use pretty much any soap with a foam cannon, how much it will foam will vary, but a cannon will certainly make the most of any soap you put into it.

I already have a similar foam cannon, I cannot seem to get it to lay on thick like your video showed. I am using a special bubble mix for foam cannons from my local detailing shop, but for whatever reason it just doesn't cling on and last.

When you say 'similar' is it the same one or is it something else? There are literally dozens of things out there claiming to be foam cannons, but when you put them to use they spray soapy water, not foam.

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok thanks, and yeah i wasnt going to use the little one it comes with, everyone says they suck. i read that some of these electrics use proprietary connectors n such, and might not fit a real foam lance. AR makes their own that looks pretty much the same with a 34oz bottle thats a little bit cheaper, but only $5... so wasnt sure if i had to get that oone instead of the MTM.

Thanks for all the help!