Flowmaster 40 and mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozraptor

Reaction score
Hello forum, 3 month Raptor owner here. Wondering if anyone knows why before I got the flowmaster 40 mufflers I was getting 12.2 mpg and now I am getting 11.5? Am I suppose to get a tune after the muffler change? BTW, for people who are considering flowmaster 40, the sound is great from "outside " but the drone is extremely annoying. I do a lot of driving and Bluetooth phone calls and it is starting to get on my nerves. Always feel like i am yelling in my car. I am going to keep it as long as I can ,but I do want to switch it out to something as loud but less drone.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some resonator tips will help the drone some.

Considering break-in period, I'd have thought you mpg would have improved a little after 1000 miles or so.

Don't know about the tune.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
flowmasters are notorious on the 5.4 Lightnings/Harley trucks to rob power, and have horrific drone. Doesn't surprise me 1 bit the 6.2 is similar.

Your mileage probably went down from romping on the gas a bit more with the new exhaust, but it could also be from the power sucking nature of the chambered flowjunk. They may have been the ******* during the pushrod era, but now days a straight through design magnaflow, roush, sw, etc. is the way to go. Excellent sound, deep tone, very little to no drone, and no robbing power.

I did the roush catback on mine and I immediately went from 14.5 mpg to 12.5 mpg lol. After a few tanks it went back up though, I'm getting 14.5 again now that I'm not romping it more than usual since I'm used to the exhaust lol.

Mitch12

Reaction score
I have that same set up on my 6.2L. I took out the resonator and put in the 44 (basically exactly the same as the 40) with single in and dual out. I haven't seen any noticeable mpg changes expect for the fact that I slam on the gas to hear that baby purr. Also I have no drone until I hit 75-80. Then if I'm on the phone the caller usually tells me they can hear some background noise. But other than over 75 I don't really have a problem with drone

OP
OP
O

Ozraptor

Reaction score
MUCH better, still sounds badass, but not nearly as much drone. I have turndowns which magnifies the drone problem.

Magnaflow is not as loud as flowmaster right? I wanted to go with magna but heard too many people say that its barely louder than stock.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go roush, you won't be disappointed!

Loud outside, just right inside, quiet enough to hold a conversation, not affect phone calls, and not get annoying, loud enough to know the exhaust is there, and zero drone.