Fishing rods - Truck Cap vs Tonneau Cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hot_sauce

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, should have my truck in the next 3 weeks or so. What do you find is the best for transporting rods, kayaks, etc. I am stuck between both of these. I am considering an A.R.E or a ReTrax. I use bass rods and fly fish and I am trying to avoid adding any racks higher than the truck so I can still park in my garage here in Texas. Pics would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I am going bass fishing without my boat, I just put them in the cab. I do not want to put them in the bed without a way to protect them. They fit fine in the cab, but only if you are by yourself.

Raptor Vet

Reaction score
Putting fishing rods in a five and a half foot bed is almost like cramming them in the glove box...I put bungee cords on the hooks on the inside side of the bed and lay them cross ways on top....then can put stuff under them without it sliding around and causing damage...can send pic if need be

TXSTEEL

Reaction score
On my last truck I had a fiberglass tonneau cover where I had mounted rod holders underneath, so I could hold 4 rods diagonal. I believe I could fit 6'6" rods.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got some holders mounted on the inside roof of my Leer and then decked drawers system for the rest of my gear. Seems to work very well so far, break the pole in 2 and clamp in place. Tonneau cover didn't really get the job done for me.

Similar to this https://www.snugtop.com/accessories/fishingrodholder

TXSTEEL

Reaction score
I've got some holders mounted on the inside roof of my Leer and then decked drawers system for the rest of my gear. Seems to work very well so far, break the pole in 2 and clamp in place. Tonneau cover didn't really get the job done for me.

Similar to this https://www.snugtop.com/accessories/fishingrodholder
Those are the same rod holders I mounted to the botom side of my tonneau, but in an angle to hold longer rods.

MasterWaterSkier

Reaction score
If your poles are 2 pieces, they will fit in your box with a topper or tonneau no problem.. but most of my casting rods are one piece and will not fit...

I have an ARE topper on my truck mostly for the puppies.. but also for gear. I open the windows of the topper and truck and the casting poles sit in the box an push through a bit into the cab. As someone pointed out.. most of the time all the rods are in the boat.

The next question you likely will have... isn't it really noisy with the windows open to the topper... :confused: I use a bicycle inner tube slightly inflated to seal the wind from the windows... works spectacular.

This is my setup.. fish poles on each side.. casting rods in the middle.. the gaps on each side is where the dog creates sit.. gear underneath, etc.. its not a pretty, but its very functional.
20220330_113636.jpg

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I destroyed two of my favorite rods in the bed. ......yeah Imma get quoted on that.....

I was used to my rods sliding around in my bed on the way to catch something wiggling

Yeah I can't fix this