First Time Raptor Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 2018 802a/tech package Raptor with 52k miles. Traded in my 2017 Ram 2500 CTD. Already put about 1k miles on it and love it so far. Put in an order for some rebuilt shocks so I expect I’ll like it even more with new shocks as I expect the factory ones with 53k miles are tired.

Not new to F-150s as I have owned several and my wife currently drives a 2015 Lariat 3.5 with 59k miles that we bought new. She loves it. I will say that this gen2 EcoBoost is more refined than the 2015. Idles much smoother and doesn’t have as many noises/rattles. Fuel economy is better in the Raptor than my 2015 as well which is a little surprising.

Now just getting ready for hunting season. The new Raptor will be out in the field just about every weekend for the next 3 months. 57de4cf84c42278610ee2d8f4cfee0ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome and congrats. Just in time for the season too. Under normal cruising these trucks do pretty good on the gas mileage.

Enjoy it!

OP
OP
D

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Really excited about not having to worry about getting stuck like I did with my 2500 which was extremely heavy. Get into mud and sand quite a bit. Hopefully it’ll be much less stressful and way more enjoyable now.

Was running Yokohama MTs on the Ram and it did ok but was so heavy I was always worried. Hoping I can get away with some slightly less aggressive tires on the Raptor. Right now it has Hankook ATs which are only about 50% so starting to think about my plan for tires too. That will probably wait till after 1st of the year.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Really excited about not having to worry about getting stuck like I did with my 2500 which was extremely heavy. Get into mud and sand quite a bit. Hopefully it’ll be much less stressful and way more enjoyable now.

Was running Yokohama MTs on the Ram and it did ok but was so heavy I was always worried. Hoping I can get away with some slightly less aggressive tires on the Raptor. Right now it has Hankook ATs which are only about 50% so starting to think about my plan for tires too. That will probably wait till after 1st of the year.

Many good tire threads here to scan over. The Raptor should be superior off road in these situations as compared to that heavy tank lol

OP
OP
D

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’ve already done hours of reading and it has been extremely helpful. Tires are one of those things that I can never make up my mind on so I always end up debating endlessly in my mind about the best choice. One good thing is that tire technology has improved rapidly over the years so there are tons of good choices and not too many ways to go wrong.

FarmersFight

Reaction score
When you’re ready, I would recommend the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Have the 35x12.5x20 on mine. Look great and ride great. Manageable road noise on the highways.

OP
OP
D

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you’re ready, I would recommend the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. Have the 35x12.5x20 on mine. Look great and ride great. Manageable road noise on the highways.
Thanks. I had a set of the on my Ram and they were pretty good. The only downside was wet traction was horrible especially after about 20,000 miles. I expected some of this but it was scary bad in my opinion. I’ve had lots of tires over the years including several MTs and the RGs were by far the worst with wet traction. Just my experience and opinion.