first time off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the mud underneath the truck I use a lawn sprinkler. Slide it under the truck and have a beer, come back a while later and move it back. The low pressure keeps you from forcing water where you might not want it.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Please do some online research and reading into offloading so you have an idea of what you're doing before you do it.

Anyone new to offloading can learn an awful lot by reading how-to's before going out and learning the hard way.

No offense intended to anyone - just hoping folks read first and then go off road. Better to be safe than sorry!

Enjoy!

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Remember, if you think an H1 is big, a Raptor is bigger. That has changed my mind about taking it on a lot of my favorite trails. Unless you really want to armor up and redecorate the paint scheme with some custom pin striping, you are pretty limited if you live in a forested state.

_Rudy_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took mine offroad for the first time this weekend too. Same deal here in NC; narrow, muddy jeep trails. I used the "when in doubt, throttle it out" method of dealing with the ruts and it worked out just fine. :peace:I was lucky and only have minor scratches that will buff out no problem.

That being said, I think I'll stick to the fire roads up in the mountains... It'll be a safer place for it and I'll be able to open it up more. I'm sure you guys have the same stuff, dig around a bit? Check to see if there is a 4x4 blog/site for your area.

Have fun!

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
got a few questions... raptor is 5 days old.
took it to a jeep trail and it was narrow so got a few tree scratches :( are they easy to take off?
2nd i was washing all the mud off and theres a bunch stuck underneath the carriege. and my engine is all muddy. is this ok? should i was the engine??
also i went passed a few creek crossings and mud holes and noticed after i got out my engine was smoking for 20-30 seconds.... is that ok???

i never really off roaded this heavily first truck and just wanna make sure everything was fine.

Please do some online research and reading into offloading so you have an idea of what you're doing before you do it.

Anyone new to offloading can learn an awful lot by reading how-to's before going out and learning the hard way.

No offense intended to anyone - just hoping folks read first and then go off road. Better to be safe than sorry!

Enjoy!

I just took mine offroad for the first time this weekend too. Same deal here in NC; narrow, muddy jeep trails. I used the "when in doubt, throttle it out" method of dealing with the ruts and it worked out just fine. :peace:I was lucky and only have minor scratches that will buff out no problem.

That being said, I think I'll stick to the fire roads up in the mountains... It'll be a safer place for it and I'll be able to open it up more. I'm sure you guys have the same stuff, dig around a bit? Check to see if there is a 4x4 blog/site for your area.

Have fun!

It's all fun - but knowing what to expect is key to being able to counteract what you hit on the trails. Like MMDan said - do some research.
I've posted some of my experience in the Offroading section and hopefully it can be of use to you all. There is a lot of great information in that section of the forum for people who like to offroad their truck. Oh, be sure to read the sticky "preliminary information"
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/preliminary-information-955/
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/trail-running-966/
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/trails-part-ii-1011/
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/offroading-high-speed-2159/

Baja Jones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got a few questions... raptor is 5 days old.
took it to a jeep trail and it was narrow so got a few tree scratches :( are they easy to take off?
2nd i was washing all the mud off and theres a bunch stuck underneath the carriege. and my engine is all muddy. is this ok? should i was the engine??
also i went passed a few creek crossings and mud holes and noticed after i got out my engine was smoking for 20-30 seconds.... is that ok???

i never really off roaded this heavily first truck and just wanna make sure everything was fine.

Good Job
Nothing like the first one. Ah I was 16 and it happened in a sand pit in MA.
She was a ****** just like yours. She had been brought up right by asphalt people. She had never been driven by a guy like me. I had my way with her. I got her dirty. Brought her home all scratched and muddy. Ruined for ever!
That was 39 years ago. Thanks for taking me back, Rookie!
Jones

DirtNasty

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jeeps are often pretty narrow, and very short. So when you take the truck, if feels as though you are driving a bus through there.

The truff!!

I did wow some jeep guys with the trails i crammed the raptor thru. at least two places i was millimeters from scraping fenders on both sides. A bit nerve racking but damn good fun since i walked away unscathed (well, there are no doubt scratches but no dents!)

Reaction score
My wife and I got the Raptor because we were planning on moving back to the Phoenix area back in 2011. My wife came to her senses and we stayed in PA. The only problem with wheeling here is that the trails here are cut for Jeeps and Toyotas. We did take the Raptor out and found trails wide enough, but they were no real challenge. So I did the only thing that was reasonable and sane: I bought my wife an older Wrangler. Now we use the Raptor as a support vehicle for most off road trips and take the jeep on the narrow back trails. The Raptor still sees sandy beaches and Rauche Creek, and recovers stuck jeeps. We plan on vacationing in Phoenix soon so the Raptor will get to wander free in it's natural habitat. Best of all, I got to move all of my wife's stuff into her jeep and the blue beast is now all mine again.

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
For the mud underneath the truck I use a lawn sprinkler. Slide it under the truck and have a beer, come back a while later and move it back. The low pressure keeps you from forcing water where you might not want it.

One thing you can do is what the Dirt Track guys do. They spray the under side and fender wells with some spray like pam or black magic silicone spray for tires. They spray the shit out of everything. Then the car wash just knocks it right off. There is some other product a guy I work with uses but I can't remember. All are cheap. I plan on the Black Magic before my run to hook up with the Houston boys net weekend. I still have shit stuck under from TRR 1.

BDRAG