First Detail - Adamized the Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What applicator do you recommend for the liquid paint sealant then?

For hand application of the Liquid Paint Sealant, you can use the Red Waxing Hex Grip Applicator. On a machine polisher the Gray Foam Pad would be used.

Some people use the Black Microfiber Applicator Pads to apply by hand, but I like using the Hex Grip because you have more control up close to trim with the defined edge of the foam, rather than the rounded edge of the Microfiber Pad.

-Dan

---------- Post added at 07:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Any answer is also on the Adams videos if your in a hurry because you've started a cleaning project and need to get it done.

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 08:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

https://youtu.be/5GkC9kPyrKQ

Thanks Wilson! The videos are a great resource. The most current ones are on AdamsPolishes.com, but older versions can also be found on the YouTube channel.

-Dan

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For hand application of the Liquid Paint Sealant, you can use the Red Waxing Hex Grip Applicator. On a machine polisher the Gray Foam Pad would be used.

Some people use the Black Microfiber Applicator Pads to apply by hand, but I like using the Hex Grip because you have more control up close to trim with the defined edge of the foam, rather than the rounded edge of the Microfiber Pad.

-Dan

I know this has been answered way back, but wash, clay, wax, polish, seal? All by hand. Need to do a good clean when I get home.

OP
OP
TheWolf

TheWolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this has been answered way back, but wash, clay, wax, polish, seal? All by hand. Need to do a good clean when I get home.
Almost...

Wash, clay, wash, polish (Revive), seal (Liquid Paint Sealant or Quick Sealant, wax (optional).

The second wash is to remove the residue from claying. Revive is the best polish to use by hand. The sealant choice is a trade-off; Quick Sealant is easier to apply, but won't last as long as Liquid Paint Sealant. Waxing on top of the sealant will give a little more shine and adds another layer of protection, but is not a must-do.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Almost...

Wash, clay, wash, polish (Revive), seal (Liquid Paint Sealant or Quick Sealant, wax (optional).

The second wash is to remove the residue from claying. Revive is the best polish to use by hand. The sealant choice is a trade-off; Quick Sealant is easier to apply, but won't last as long as Liquid Paint Sealant. Waxing on top of the sealant will give a little more shine and adds another layer of protection, but is not a must-do.

Is the second post-clay wash necessary? I usually skip that step.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is the second post-clay wash necessary? I usually skip that step.

I think it is necessary if you are going to use a sealant. The Detail Spray and clay leave a lot of residue, and just wiping it off still leaves some on the surface. To get the most life out of a sealant, it needs to bond to bare, clean paint.

If the sealant is applied to paint that still has some claying residue on it, nothing catastrophic will happen, the protection of the sealant just won't last as long.

If you are going to use wax instead of sealant, then you could skip this second wash and just wipe the residue, as the wax just floats on top, it does not bond to the paint.

-Dan

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think it is necessary if you are going to use a sealant. The Detail Spray and clay leave a lot of residue, and just wiping it off still leaves some on the surface. To get the most life out of a sealant, it needs to bond to bare, clean paint.

If the sealant is applied to paint that still has some claying residue on it, nothing catastrophic will happen, the protection of the sealant just won't last as long.

If you are going to use wax instead of sealant, then you could skip this second wash and just wipe the residue, as the wax just floats on top, it does not bond to the paint.

-Dan

Gotcha. My normal process for a full detail is Wash, Clay, Polish, Seal, Glaze, and Wax.

If I'm doing this, would I do a post-clay wash or a post-polish wash? My concern with a post-polish wash would be the fact that I'm washing completely unprotected paint and I'd be more likely to induce swirls even using proper wash techniques.

AdamsPolishes

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gotcha. My normal process for a full detail is Wash, Clay, Polish, Seal, Glaze, and Wax.

If I'm doing this, would I do a post-clay wash or a post-polish wash? My concern with a post-polish wash would be the fact that I'm washing completely unprotected paint and I'd be more likely to induce swirls even using proper wash techniques.

That depends on the polishing method.

For hand polishing with Revive, wash after the clay and before the polish. Revive polish is more of a paint cleaner, so you can put sealant on right after removing the residue.

For machine polishing with Paint Correcting Polish and Paint Finishing Polish, just wipe the residue from the clay, machine polish, and then wash after the polish to remove the polishing oils and leftover abrasives. If you put sealant on top of the polishing oils, it can cause haziness, especially on darker color paint.

If you use good washing technique, you should not have to worry about swirls. Another option some people will use is doing an Isopropyl Alcohol wipedown after polishing instead of a wash. For this method, use a dilution of about 50% alcohol and wipe with a plush microfiber towel. While some find this wipe-down faster than a wash, I prefer the wash as it is easier to clean up the polishing dust with a wash than by wiping.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dan

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That depends on the polishing method.

For hand polishing with Revive, wash after the clay and before the polish. Revive polish is more of a paint cleaner, so you can put sealant on right after removing the residue.

For machine polishing with Paint Correcting Polish and Paint Finishing Polish, just wipe the residue from the clay, machine polish, and then wash after the polish to remove the polishing oils and leftover abrasives. If you put sealant on top of the polishing oils, it can cause haziness, especially on darker color paint.

If you use good washing technique, you should not have to worry about swirls. Another option some people will use is doing an Isopropyl Alcohol wipedown after polishing instead of a wash. For this method, use a dilution of about 50% alcohol and wipe with a plush microfiber towel. While some find this wipe-down faster than a wash, I prefer the wash as it is easier to clean up the polishing dust with a wash than by wiping.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dan

I should have specified machine polishing. I usually do the PC followed by the PF since I only polish once or twice a year. And I guess since the vehicle is already clean after a wash, clay, and machine polish, there won't be any residue on the paint to cause damage. Thanks, Dan. I'll be doing a full detail after Raptoberfest and this weather down in Houston finally decides to cool off.