Expected Gas Mileage for 2017 Raptor? (10-Speed Transmission)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im curious what the rpm will be while driving at highway speeds. In my limited experience it seems like as they make transmisions with more gears the rpm at highway speeds stays about the same, and all the extra gears are there more to help with city driving? I understand its not good to have your engine bogged down on the freeway or constantly shifting to a lower gear.
The Ecoboost has it's power at such a lower RPM that I think it'll be a good thing. I own both the 3.5 Eco and the 6.2.
The 3.5 Eco runs more like a diesel with the low end torque. I have an 8x10 enclosed trailer that I haul our riding lawn mower and 4-wheeler in. Maybe total weight 2000 lbs. Towed it with both the Eco and the Raptor. Eco wins hands down. Same hills and driving speed, the Eco doesn't downshift out of 6th. The Raptor most of the time downshifts to 4th.

2014 Ford F-150 | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com
6.2 3.5 Eco
411 HP @ 5500 RPM 365 HP @ 5000 RPM
434 lb/ft @ 4500 RPM 420 lb/ft @ 2500 RPM

My major concern with the Eco Raptor is the low end torque is such that I hope they have a good algorithm for light throttle. I hate it when I am trying to crawl/ease thru and the tires break loose due to an over sensitive throttle, especially on loose/slick surfaces....
While towing once in my Eco it downshifted on a hill climb and the road was icy, rear tires broke out and sent me into the other lane. Luckily no one was coming, but scared me. Drove around in 4x4 after that. Other thing that sucks is taking off on slick surfaces, have to ease into the throttle when you have such low end torque.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Ecoboost has it's power at such a lower RPM that I think it'll be a good thing. I own both the 3.5 Eco and the 6.2.
The 3.5 Eco runs more like a diesel with the low end torque. I have an 8x10 enclosed trailer that I haul our riding lawn mower and 4-wheeler in. Maybe total weight 2000 lbs. Towed it with both the Eco and the Raptor. Eco wins hands down. Same hills and driving speed, the Eco doesn't downshift out of 6th. The Raptor most of the time downshifts to 4th.

2014 Ford F-150 | View Full Engine Specifications | Ford.com
6.2 3.5 Eco
411 HP @ 5500 RPM 365 HP @ 5000 RPM
434 lb/ft @ 4500 RPM 420 lb/ft @ 2500 RPM

My major concern with the Eco Raptor is the low end torque is such that I hope they have a good algorithm for light throttle. I hate it when I am trying to crawl/ease thru and the tires break loose due to an over sensitive throttle, especially on loose/slick surfaces....
While towing once in my Eco it downshifted on a hill climb and the road was icy, rear tires broke out and sent me into the other lane. Luckily no one was coming, but scared me. Drove around in 4x4 after that. Other thing that sucks is taking off on slick surfaces, have to ease into the throttle when you have such low end torque.

You hopefully wont have those sketchy moments in the new Gen2 because of the upgraded all-wheel drive system.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am wondering at the gearing and tire size of @gwpfan's two trucks. The difference may have more to do with overall gearing than the engines involved.

Aaron313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ea4542a2e4a917e9feb75478e1a444c7.jpg how much more efficient do they want to make this thing? Just buy a Prius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering at the gearing and tire size of @gwpfan's two trucks. The difference may have more to do with overall gearing than the engines involved.

Could, but all were stock.
3.73 on the 3.5L LT275/65

4.10 on the 6.2L LT315/70

BTW the wife's Lincoln MKT with 3.5L 'tows' better as well. I say 'tows' as it holds gears longer, but the lighter weight of the vehicle itself you can feel the trailer push you a bit more.

mberger111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really curious what it'll do. The thing is, I will take performance over fuel economy and day of the week, but it does matter. I guarantee it even matters to the people saying "don't buy a Raptor for fuel economy". Like someone said, if it got 1 mpg you would care. And also, for long trips, the better mpg will allow you to go further on 1 tank which is a great benefit that's irrelevant to being eco. Efficiency, as long as it doesn't effect performance, is always a good thing. Less gas money also=more modifications.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm really curious what it'll do. The thing is, I will take performance over fuel economy and day of the week, but it does matter. I guarantee it even matters to the people saying "don't buy a Raptor for fuel economy". Like someone said, if it got 1 mpg you would care. And also, for long trips, the better mpg will allow you to go further on 1 tank which is a great benefit that's irrelevant to being eco. Efficiency, as long as it doesn't effect performance, is always a good thing. Less gas money also=more modifications.

Hopefully they include the 36 gallon tank or at least offer it as an option like the current F150s. That's probably where the biggest gains in fuel efficiency will come is highway driving and with a 36 gallon tank it'd be cool to see 600+ miles per tank on a trip. Not that I wouldn't stop before that anyway, wife and kid need a break at every damn off ramp. Lol

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

mberger111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they include the 36 gallon tank or at least offer it as an option like the current F150s. That's probably where the biggest gains in fuel efficiency will come is highway driving and with a 36 gallon tank it'd be cool to see 600+ miles per tank on a trip. Not that I wouldn't stop before that anyway, wife and kid need a break at every damn off ramp. Lol

Haha I can relate to the road trips with family. I agree on the 36 gallon tank + better MPG. I off road a lot and also take the Raptor on road trips so the extra mileage would be nice especially for highway driving when all that suspension, tire, etc makes no difference. You gotta ride the highways to get to the good spots. But also, I recently drove White Rim road in Utah and burned a ton of gas. Still had a quarter tank at the end, but better MPG means longer off road before needing the spare tank or needing to get back to a gas station.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

My wife doesn't understand the concept of, we stop when we need gas. At that point, you take care of food, bathroom, and anything else before we saddle up and stop for gas again, whenever that may be.