Driving Mode Use Cases

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What mode does everyone use in heavy rain driving on the highway? I am quite used to driving my MB Suv AWD doing about 70 ish mph. It's summer time here now in FL so we do get the typical heavy afternoon shower rains. Is it better to keep the truck in 2wd or 4A?

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how heavy, but usually I keep it in Sport on the street, but go 4A in the rain. If it’s really bad out, I’ll put it rain/snow mode.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Normally in normal drive mode. Seems to handle the Starbucks parking lot just fine. Even in hard rain or snow. Going over the mountain passes in the snow I might throw it in 4a, if I see semis chaining up.

CigarPundit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has such a long wheel base that drifting it is like taking candy from a baby. So it really doesn’t matter for the rain.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use 4A if the roads are anything but dry. Normal shifts so bad I use Sport and really like the drive more. It’s annoying af to me that you can’t bump it up a gear when it’s hanging on a downhill at 4k rpms. I had a 2005 Subaru and have a 2017 DCT motorcycle that can do this. It’s infuriating that the paddles or buttons do absolutely nothing useful in auto mode.

CigarPundit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use 4A if the roads are anything but dry. Normal shifts so bad I use Sport and really like the drive more. It’s annoying af to me that you can’t bump it up a gear when it’s hanging on a downhill at 4k rpms. I had a 2005 Subaru and have a 2017 DCT motorcycle that can do this. It’s infuriating that the paddles or buttons do absolutely nothing useful in auto mode.
The left paddle will subtract one gear from the top with each pull, and the right paddle will add it back in Auto mode. Also, if you give it a blip of throttle on the downhill, it will upshift. Or just move the lever to M and select the gear you want. I‘d rather have it hang at 4k downhill than ride the brakes.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if we had the option to get the Gen3 programming which makes the paddles act as you're describing

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The left paddle will subtract one gear from the top with each pull, and the right paddle will add it back in Auto mode. Also, if you give it a blip of throttle on the downhill, it will upshift. Or just move the lever to M and select the gear you want. I‘d rather have it hang at 4k downhill than ride the brakes.
Yeah blipping the throttle just makes it hold longer. The only way to coax an up shift out of it is to hold it steady and slowly accelerate. Anything abrupt makes it downshift harder. And this is a 1/2 mile hill on the way to the park, not somewhere I’d ever downshift a manual vehicle and ride it at 4k rpm’s. It’s just odd behavior imo.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice if we had the option to get the Gen3 programming which makes the paddles act as you're describing
I didn’t know they eventually came to their senses. Good to know at least.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What mode does everyone use in heavy rain driving on the highway? I am quite used to driving my MB Suv AWD doing about 70 ish mph. It's summer time here now in FL so we do get the typical heavy afternoon shower rains. Is it better to keep the truck in 2wd or 4A?
slippery mode is made for,quotation from one of teacher at Assault.