DIY - Stock Raptor 2.5 Shock Rebuild.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M3toSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the present set?

Fox says there is none. We do a preset which is not dramatic because as noted in the document we use a measured amount of fluid to make the preset. This is easier as u get a consistent result vs measuring. If needed pm me and I will give you my cell so you can ask questions if stuck.

Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply. I currently am waiting on some rubber pellets as one of the rears doesn't seem to hold. If i run into questions I'll let you know. Thanks!

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rebuilding 3.5s now. Same basic process with some changes around bleeding.

Next will be a set of 3.0 coils.

Attachments

• Fox_3 (1).jpg
    Fox_3 (1).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Fox_3 (3).jpg
    Fox_3 (3).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Fox_3 (4).jpg
    Fox_3 (4).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Fox_3 (5).jpg
    Fox_3 (5).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Fox_3 (6).jpg
    Fox_3 (6).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Fox_3 (7).jpg
    Fox_3 (7).jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 122

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my rears rebuilt and re-installed with m3dragons (I had not seen his name posted in this thread, so I am not using it) assistance and patience in answering all of my questions and sending me some of the rubber pellets and bleeder screws. I could not have done this without his video and his step by step instructions. Thank you again for all of this. I will attempt the fronts at a later date.

A couple of notes in the interest of helping the community:
Shock oil stinks similar to or something just less than gear oil if you know that smell. Work over an area that has some kind of catch pan and lots of towels as previously stated in the original instructions. OP was not kidding when he mentioned these things.

After stabbing myself in the thumb with a pick, I found an easy way to get the plastic out of the screw that covers the rubber pellet. Take a small Phillips head screw that has a smaller diameter than the concave opening of the pellet screw and thread in 2 or 3 threads of said small screw. Rock the screw head, that is now threaded into the plastic, side to side with your fingers or a pair of pliers and it should pop right out...no holes in your thumb or hand.

To aid in getting the 3 seals into the screw cap on the shock (1 white and 2 black ones that point up) you can use a chop stick (like the one you get from Chinese restaurants) to help pry/push them into place without damaging the cap or the seals.

My rears had 61K miles on them of mostly street driving. The shock pressures that I was able to read were 85# in the drivers shock and less than 60# in the passengers shock. I will not call these precise measurements, but the best that I could get with the needle and gauge. This is much lower than the 240# that I added after the rebuild. I could easily compress the shocks when I took them out.... after, not hardly at all.

Damn Mike! You're an expert now. Want to do mine? You can start a side business for all of us in the Southeast.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did the upper cap have locktie on it? I have a set and can't get the upper caps off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There in no lock tight. One of mine has a set screw that was welded in basically. Use a set of Lock Jaws and a LONG pipe. How we broke them off.

Bleeding them is a mess as there is no bleed screw. Took me 3 try's to figure out he best way. You will need a second set of hands to compress the piston as it is BEEF CAKE.

If you need assistance shoot me a PM and I can send you my cell.

I am finishing rebuilding my Factory Series 3.0 coil overs now. Those have the DSC which actually means less to work on.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Damn Mike! You're an expert now. Want to do mine? You can start a side business for all of us in the Southeast.

LOL buy 5 plane tickets and me and the fam and my shock buddy to come out there and knock out several sets same day. If you had a shop with 3 lifts we could do 9 trucks in 8 hours with some help of course HAHA

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score

im in nc if you need a set done.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

There in no lock tight. One of mine has a set screw that was welded in basically. Use a set of Lock Jaws and a LONG pipe. How we broke them off.

Bleeding them is a mess as there is no bleed screw. Took me 3 try's to figure out he best way. You will need a second set of hands to compress the piston as it is BEEF CAKE.

If you need assistance shoot me a PM and I can send you my cell.

I am finishing rebuilding my Factory Series 3.0 coil overs now. Those have the DSC which actually means less to work on.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

LOL buy 5 plane tickets and me and the fam and my shock buddy to come out there and knock out several sets same day. If you had a shop with 3 lifts we could do 9 trucks in 8 hours with some help of course HAHA

normally these don't need to come off but they are in real bad shape and I'm powdercoating them for yukon joe.

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey Glenn... I am no expert, but I have a pretty good idea of what is going on inside the rear shocks now. I still haven't done my fronts. We have done more difficult mods to trucks in the past...this just takes patience, focus and a clean work area (and keeping it clean). With your garage, it should be cake.

Did I mention that shock oil stinks. The smell will permeate everything it touches like old gear oil.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
normally these don't need to come off but they are in real bad shape and I'm powdercoating them for yukon joe.

You have to remove the top cap to take the shock apart. Not sure what you mean by you don't have to as it is screwed into place on the top spacer that presses against the snap ring.

So to take the shock apart it has to come off first. Or am I missing something.

Note, I have painted these shocks twice. Next rebuild I am going to power coat myself.

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to remove the top cap to take the shock apart. Not sure what you mean by you don't have to as it is screwed into place on the top spacer that presses against the snap ring.

So to take the shock apart it has to come off first. Or am I missing something.

Note, I have painted these shocks twice. Next rebuild I am going to power coat myself.

No the upper cap that mounts to the frame rail. Not the lower that the shaft goes through. I think I just need another set of hands as I just had surgery on my arm. I was wondering what set screw you were speaking of. Now I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK we on same page now lol. You will need to heat the hell out of it as there is red locktite. If you don't want to kill the finish heat for about 2 min or so. What we have done to get the ends and tube's out.

But yes there is either a little or a lot of red locktite.

Once you heat it a lot use a long bar or bar and pipe to spin off. Or use the large channel lock and pipe with a rag and spin tube off. Put the eyelid side in a vice. This is our preferred method.