DIY Fresh air / wanna-be snorkel setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water crossings are a matter of momentum. You want to travel fast enough to creat a bow wave but slow enough to not to overtake it.

By creating a bow wave you'll creat a pocket of air in the engine bay avoiding water ingress

OP
OP
S

stefanwerner

Reaction score
Water crossings are a matter of momentum. You want to travel fast enough to creat a bow wave but slow enough to not to overtake it.

By creating a bow wave you'll creat a pocket of air in the engine bay avoiding water ingress

I won't argue with that, but when traction becomes a problem during a crossing there are only so many variables one can control..

Aussiesvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't argue with that, but when traction becomes a problem during a crossing there are only so many variables one can control..

Correct.
You should never enter a water crossing at speed!

The saying "when in doubt - throttle out", does not apply to water crossings.

If you do start to slow down and lost traction, don't panic.
You want to maintain your rpm. Let your tyres to the work and find traction.
By putting the boot in it is a good way to get swamped.

Water crossings were a very common thing for exploring cape York FNQ in Australia.
I've seen lots of people lost very capable truck by panicking during a water crossing.
The deepest I've been is about 4-5ft deep for approx 200yrd...
Yeah I puckered my butt...