GEN 2 Dilemma, Gen 2 or slightly used Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
What options does the 13 have? Is it a Roush? Is it a supercab, or super crew (full 4 doors)?. If it is a supercrew with all options, you can buy for $47k-$48k.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think of it like this.... imagine that the trucks are 2 different women. Both great girls. One might be a little faster. One might be a little younger. One might have bigger...tires. One might be a little louder. One might have a tighter...suspension. It sounds like the old lady wasn't driven to hard and you already test drove her and liked it. My advice to you is test drive the young one and you will know (maybe a 2017 or 2018). You should be able to find one at a dealer. Let us know what you chose.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
I would think of it like this.... imagine that the trucks are 2 different women. Both great girls. One might be a little faster. One might be a little younger. One might have bigger...tires. One might be a little louder. One might have a tighter...suspension. It sounds like the old lady wasn't driven to hard and you already test drove her and liked it. My advice to you is test drive the young one and you will know (maybe a 2017 or 2018). You should be able to find one at a dealer. Let us know what you chose.

You missed one thing... medical records of each woman. Check the history of each and see which one will last versus the one that always has to go to the doctor....

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck, you have stumbled into one of the biggest debates on here. Just my 2 cents, and yes both my vehicles have 6.2, you are considering paying as much for a used 2013 as I paid for my 2014 new. While Gen 2's sit on lots, kinda seems folks who like badass trucks like big ass engines to me

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good luck, you have stumbled into one of the biggest debates on here. Just my 2 cents, and yes both my vehicles have 6.2, you are considering paying as much for a used 2013 as I paid for my 2014 new. While Gen 2's sit on lots, kinda seems folks who like badass trucks like big ass engines to me

Yep, that's why some people are paying $90k for 3.5 EB engines.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You missed one thing... medical records of each woman. Check the history of each and see which one will last versus the one that always has to go to the doctor....

I guess you could check the car fax just to see what you come up with. I suppose that you could take it to your guy if you are not a certified mechanic to check it out. You could see if the owner has records on maintenance and oil changes etc. I imagine that there are a few "garage queen" gen 1 raptors out there that are not daily driven due to the poor gas mileage that have low mileage. Maybe those 18 K miles are all off road though. I can just see the add now "Gen 1 ford raptor lightly driven all highway miles driving Mrs. Daisy...location Arizona". Seriously though, some guys might look at Gen 1s as a classic truck/collectors truck. I for one would go with the Gen 2, but I can see the other side of the coin.

DrippinRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like my gen 1 a lot. 97k miles and it still drives like new. Engine and everything work perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've had my Gen 1 almost 5 years and 91k miles. I wouldn't be trading it for an 18 if I didn't have so many issues with rust on the rocker panels in the past 2 years.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Gen2's selling for MSRP aren't sitting on the lots very long.

adeerchaser

ALWAYS carry, never tell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, that's why some people are paying $90k for 3.5 EB engines.

True True, proves you can't fix stupid! But you can read about and laugh at it

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Gen2's selling for MSRP aren't sitting on the lots very long.

I have yet to see on at MSRP! So that does show the want is still there.

Course the other side of coin is I like that my truck is still selling for bout what I paid for it 4 years ago. That don't happen often