Determing to buy a Gen 1 or Gen 2, interesting observation so far

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtbguy

Reaction score
Hi to all in Raptor Land! I find this site so extremely helpful that I return often to see latest posts and any other topic of interest to read. Here is my situation.

I will be purchasing a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor. After reading many posts I've concluded the following pros and cons for both models (I'm probably missing some):

Gen 1 Pros
V8 motor reliable and loved by all Ford fans
Resale value very strong up till now

Gen 1 Cons
Older and like any vehicle "old car" problems will eventually surface (leaks, parts wearing out, etc.)
Suspension issues; ALL Raptors eventually need new coil overs and shocks, VERY expensive, like $7K

Gen 2 Pros
Newer technology
Better look
Many still under warranty

Gen 2 Cons
V6 motor, not proven compared to the V8
With so many 2019 Raptors still at the dealers, resale values are likely to suffer in the future
Cam phaser problems
Transmission problems

I won't even discuss gas mileage because if you can afford a Raptor, fuel consumption shouldn't even be a concern.

Observation
Okay, after looking at many Gen1 (2013-2014) with no more than 60K miles, just about everybody has not addressed the suspension issues. That discussion seems to fade away. Yes, there is always the option to rebuilding the OEM parts, but for me that is NOT an option. Ford under engineered the suspension and that is why the problem exists. $7,000 (my friend paid $10K for his replacement 75K miles on his 2014) is plenty of money and should be considered when buying a used vehicle. Most Gen1s with 60K miles are advertised for high 30s to low 40s. Add $7K and now you are at the price point for a 2017 with possibly less mileage.

This is the situation I'm struggling with. Any suggestions/opinions for any of you guys/gals will be appreciated.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi to all in Raptor Land! I find this site so extremely helpful that I return often to see latest posts and any other topic of interest to read. Here is my situation.

I will be purchasing a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor. After reading many posts I've concluded the following pros and cons for both models (I'm probably missing some):

Gen 1 Pros
V8 motor reliable and loved by all Ford fans
Resale value very strong up till now

Gen 1 Cons
Older and like any vehicle "old car" problems will eventually surface (leaks, parts wearing out, etc.)
Suspension issues; ALL Raptors eventually need new coil overs and shocks, VERY expensive, like $7K

Gen 2 Pros
Newer technology
Better look
Many still under warranty

Gen 2 Cons
V6 motor, not proven compared to the V8
With so many 2019 Raptors still at the dealers, resale values are likely to suffer in the future
Cam phaser problems
Transmission problems

I won't even discuss gas mileage because if you can afford a Raptor, fuel consumption shouldn't even be a concern.

Observation
Okay, after looking at many Gen1 (2013-2014) with no more than 60K miles, just about everybody has not addressed the suspension issues. That discussion seems to fade away. Yes, there is always the option to rebuilding the OEM parts, but for me that is NOT an option. Ford under engineered the suspension and that is why the problem exists. $7,000 (my friend paid $10K for his replacement 75K miles on his 2014) is plenty of money and should be considered when buying a used vehicle. Most Gen1s with 60K miles are advertised for high 30s to low 40s. Add $7K and now you are at the price point for a 2017 with possibly less mileage.

This is the situation I'm struggling with. Any suggestions/opinions for any of you guys/gals will be appreciated.

What GoBlue38 said and also shocks can be rebuilt for a couple hundred bucks. You don't need to buy all new suspension. Ford din't under engineer anything. This is normal shock maintenance for any vehicle with similar suspension setups.

NHbeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wannabe Noob...(in a nice way)
IMHO wait for the 202? with the soon to be announced upgraded rear suspension.
Mod the hell out of it!
Drive it like you stole it!
Join the debates on octane, tires, suspension, lights, waxes, and....wait for it....oil.

Last edited:

london blues

Reaction score
my $0.02:
agrees, $7k for suspension...I have a bridge to sell ya :)
I am a gen 2 guy. gen 1's are awesome, and now found for some really good values.
I personally LOVE the HO v6.
maybe b/c I am a Porsche racer and flippin' love a flat 6, but I have zero issues with the "sound" of my 2019 screw. ford engineers have spent years perfecting an engine that gives great low end power, good high end speed, and still gives me an avg of 15.5 mpg city (and that's with my bed rack and roof top tent dragging it down). like most on these forums, the cost of gas is of little concern to me, but g-ment regs will increasingly put higher req's on manufacturers to up mpgs.
even though I "overland" the shit out my truck, it's still 99% a dd, so these ho v6's are really, really good.
IF you go gen 2, I highly rec the cobb tune to anyone. it really wakes up the potential of those tt's and ups the "fun" factor.
after all, if you're a truck guy who isn't into fun, go get a ram :)))
gen 1 or gen 2, if you pull the trigger, welcome.
once you go bird of prey, you will have an eternal smile on your face!

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
$7k is for friggen fox 3.0s or kings

takes off on ebay are like 600

ebay has been a little scarce lately but @xrocket21 is right. 7k has to be for 3.0 King, Fox or Icon with install/alignment. Brand new OEM Fox shocks from Tasca are $1600 plus install. In the off chance the leafs are shot Deavers can be had (great even if you don't need leafs) for around $1300 depending on vendor.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIq87i2rah5QIVksJkCh2LmgXkEAQYAiABEgL2EPD_BwE

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-part...MIq87i2rah5QIVksJkCh2LmgXkEAQYASABEgLe1vD_BwE

Vendors will go lower if you call or message them
https://deaverspring.com/product/raptor-2009-2014-rear-spring-eliminates-factory-block-stock-height/

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before you know what vehicle you want, you have to ask yourself what you plan on doing with it.

I'm not out here BAJA jumping or towing anything. Its a sexy ass truck and I need to fairy a couch or two around from time to time for my properties... that is all.

1. I love how vehicles look - Gen 2
2. I love how they sound, Gen 1 sure because its a v8, but after exhaust work, the Gen 2 can sound pretty nice to the ears.
3. Technology, towing capabilities and space; its clearly the Gen 2 here also.

The Gen 2 has more power and looks better. To me that is enough to win. It does have cam phaser issues apparently and transmission issues apparently, but its not all of them.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What suspension issues?

4 New OEM 2.5 shocks $1,600 (fox shocks need to be rebuilt 15k to 25K miles depending on offroad use) it's in the manual.
Many have driven to 80K + without doing anything to the shocks, it all depends on driving conditions.

Upgraded Deavers rear leaf springs $1,300 +/-