GEN 2 Dealership wouldn't allow me to test drive their Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new here, and considering a Raptor. I went to Maxwell Ford in Austin, which had at least 4 Raptors on their lot.

The sales guy said "No" to a test drive. He indicated that don't permit test drives for Raptors. :mad:

I understand it's a $70k+ truck...but come on now. Who wants to drop that kind of money, and not be able to at least drive it for a couple of miles.

I have a Dodge Challenger Hellcat (msrp $73k), and numerous dealerships permitted me to test drive their hellcats.

Just venting for now. I'm hoping Covert Ford (also in Austin) will let me take their raptor out....the search is on! :happy3:

How many lookie-loos do you want test driving your truck before you buy it? Dealer by me allowed me to test drive a Raptor. Had 250 test drive miles on it. Did I buy it, nope. Got mine out of state with 13 miles on it. I'm very happy the dealer I bought mine from didn't allow test drives.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new here, and considering a Raptor. I went to Maxwell Ford in Austin, which had at least 4 Raptors on their lot.

The sales guy said "No" to a test drive. He indicated that don't permit test drives for Raptors. :mad:

I understand it's a $70k+ truck...but come on now. Who wants to drop that kind of money, and not be able to at least drive it for a couple of miles.

I have a Dodge Challenger Hellcat (msrp $73k), and numerous dealerships permitted me to test drive their hellcats.

Just venting for now. I'm hoping Covert Ford (also in Austin) will let me take their raptor out....the search is on! :happy3:

Keep your hellcat. The raptor is a joke compared to that.

Jtnuge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hellcat is impressive sure, but for MGD to compare that to a raptor, really. Two different vehicles. The dodge is lighter than the supercab raptor. Put 700 Hp in the raptor and then it might be a better conversation. My dealer said they would let me test drive the raptor, but they were asking 5000,00 over. I went to the next dealer. MSRP from the very first words, I did not drive one because they had just opened the order banks. I ordered one, and have been very happy since taking delivery in April.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
u know

Attachments

• 0753E039-C5EE-4482-820E-6E6DA0C31330.jpeg
    0753E039-C5EE-4482-820E-6E6DA0C31330.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Keep your hellcat. The raptor is a joke compared to that.

The consistency and frequency that this dude is annoying is frightening. Every ******* thread. Amazing. This time last year I was driving a Ferrari ... hellcats a joke compared to that. No ******* point.

Back on topic. I didn’t test drive my Raptor before I bought it. My mind was made up, more important to me was getting what I wanted and coming to a price. If a customer had a relationship with a dealer and was refused a test drive then I’d expect their to be some offense. But, an unqualified buyer/driver is a catch 22 with these trucks for the dealers. Heavy initial depreciation vs trying to move inventory. Frankly, the trucks cause lot traffic regardless of if anyone drivers or buy them. Just like a petty/roush/Shelby mustang, just being in the showroom makes the showroom. People like to look at cars, I know I do.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty sure you won't find an off of the trailer truck to test drive. now if the owner is sporting one or there is a demo.....which never happens- maybe! only rookie dealership would let you put miles on a brand new truck you most like;y won't buy and then they have to worry about ******* like me who don't want anyone touching my truck before its delivered to me. just my 2 cents. happy hunting!

Hey,

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking and just took a test drive yesterday at my local dealer. Raptor had 71 miles on it. Unfortunately, we couldn't come to an agreement on price.

and that right there is why no test drives allowed. not to mention, i aint paying sticker for a truck thats been drivin around town. just me. but when i bought my 2017 bmw x5m i did test drive a brand new one, then went in the shop and ordered it exactly as i wanted it. and i beat the shit out of the test drive car as the salesman was like go ahead push it.