Cycle Ranch, December 1st.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up folks?

So I missed out on the Cycle Ranch trip a while back and am planning on heading down there on Saturday the 1st if anyone wants to come along. I have never had this beast off road and with two little ones, I don't get a ton of time away alone so I am looking forward to this in a big way.

I'm planning on making it a day trip, hitting the 130 to see what the "fastest highway in the U.S." is all about and stopping for some great BBQ in Lockhart on the way back.

Anyone who's interested, give me a shout and come on... The more the merrier.

~BGM

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all good you guys, if it's half as fun as it seems I'll be heading back there as often as I can so we'll catch it together another time.

~BGM

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BGM, you may want to call and talk to George or Todd at Cycle Ranch. I saw some recent facebook pics that made me concerned that they had adjusted the baja track for MX racing. Hopefully not, but better be safe and make sure you can still run it in the Raptor before driving down there. Even in the set up I ran two weeks ago there were a couple jumps that I just drove around. If you go, let us know what you think and post some pics/vids. Wish I was going.

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Good point. I'll give them a call this week and see what's what. I think I saw some of those vids... Most all were carts and bikes with a quad.. Didn't see any vids of trucks or raptors.

I will definitely be bummed should it not work out... But /shrug... I'll get this bad boy off road and having fun someday and I'm going to own this thing for a loooong time so I can wait if I must.

Tanks for the heads up.

~BGM

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to George today and he said all is well. They are looking to "reshape" some of the courses but he said this weekend is a go for the Raptor. I'll be getting there close to opening time at 0900.

Since I will be driving and my GoPro is in storage I don't think there will be any photographic evidence but I'll still have a blast I'm sure.. lol

Maybe I'll see another raptor out there, who knows.

~BGM

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since I will be driving and my GoPro is in storage I don't think there will be any photographic evidence but I'll still have a blast I'm sure.. lol

No way BG! Wish I could go. You gotta find a way cuz we need to see it! Get that GoPro out of storage, set it up to capture the jump, and then pull screenshot stills from it. Those are sweet epic jumps that deserve to be appreciated!

BlackMamba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to George today and he said all is well. They are looking to "reshape" some of the courses but he said this weekend is a go for the Raptor. I'll be getting there close to opening time at 0900.

Maybe I'll see another raptor out there, who knows.

~BGM

Good news BGM re the course. Take a regular camera. You will run into lots of people who want to take a ride with you. Tell em the ride fee is taking some pics of you jumping the big table top. Even a camera phone is better than nothing. Again, wish I was going.

OP
OP
Big Green Machine

Big Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today's trip was FUN!

Got there right at 0900 and was the only person on the Baja Course all morning except a father/son quad duo and a dude that ran a lap in his ridiculously tall, monster tire truck beasty thing. I was sitting there chatting with a fellow raptor owner as he came on the course and was going to go chase him around but he bailed after only one lap.. :(

As I said there was another raptor owner, white SCAB but he wasn't driving the truck on the course, he had brought his 450F and his two dogs so no truck time for him this trip.

As for the course, it was a lot of fun though I am not sure what I was expecting but I left there somehow less than amazed. I guess I envisioned it being... longer maybe?

Don't get me wrong, it was an absolute blast and more fun than I have ever had in a four wheeled vehicle to date but I really thought I'd be power sliding into turns, etc...

This course was fun, there were two sets of table tops where you could get some good air, and a couple whoops that were big enough and far enough apart to get some good time in yet there were also sections where the whoops were very tight and rather steep so you had to keep the speed down and one of the turns was HEAVILY rutted so that turn just plain sucked.

I think it would have been a lot more fun if there were other people there to chase around, talk shit to/with, etc... I ended up running for almost an hour, taking a 20 minute break to watch the MX guys rip it up and then back on and off the track until almost noon before I bailed.

The truck definitely drew a lot of attention and spectators. Every run I'd find a few different folks on bikes / quads pulled up to the edge of the track watching... even had a guy on a quad chasing me around for a few laps which was funny.

Great time, I will definitely be back many times and let me know the next time some of you guys/gals go down, I'm game! Now if I had a MX I could see setting up camp and taking turns running each, that would be awesome.. exhausting, but awesome.

~BGM

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

Also, I took turns running laps with the different set ups...

Did 2WD, Locked Rear, Nannies on... that sucked since it would kill the power and take over when you tried to swing the ass end around in the tight turns.

2WD, Locked Rear, Nannies off - By far the most fun and the easiest to control the movement of the truck. This is where I ran 90% of the day.

4HI, Locked Rear, Nannies off - It was ok but since this course was rather tight and slow, I rarely got out of 2nd gear, I didn't really find it all that fun nor was it really necessary.

As an aside, I'm actually glad I ran today on the stock suspension setting since that will give me a really good comparison when I go to mid perch.

~BGM

Last edited: