Custom 5 Star Tune with HP Tuners NGauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent in my stock file on Friday and waiting for my tunes.

I get worried reading some people's experiences with the tuning. I guess you can't have it all but I was looking for the ability to turn it up when I want some additional performance but keep it mild when I have the kids and wife in the car. What worries me is that this is my driver and I don't want to change the comfort and cruising factors. I will drive to Miami back from Orlando at least a few times a month (8hrs on highway) - using cruise control and hope it won't change that ease of driving for me.

If you use the street tune it should be fine. It is intended for DD.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use the street tune it should be fine. It is intended for DD.

Street tune is smoother than the factory.

Performance tune is just a little bit of a surge when taking off... but that's the fun of it!

Carbon8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if 5 star has the ability to disable DTC's with their tunes?

hmgt3

Reaction score
Anyone know if 5 star has the ability to disable DTC's with their tunes?
Yes they do. They just sent me one to disable my P0035 error.
Haven't uploaded it yet. Traveling for next couple weeks.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

Carbon8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they do. They just sent me one to disable my P0035 error.
Haven't uploaded it yet. Traveling for next couple weeks.

That's exactly what I wanted, anyone replacing the EBOV will get this code.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what I wanted, anyone replacing the EBOV will get this code.

I thought the turbosmart kit had some sort of plug and play to eliminate getting the code. Maybe it takes both?

Carbon8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the turbosmart kit had some sort of plug and play to eliminate getting the code. Maybe it takes both?

Not sure, someone last night posted n social media of P0035 and he has the turbosmart installed and I just ordered mine yesterday.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, someone last night posted n social media of P0035 and he has the turbosmart installed and I just ordered mine yesterday.

The CJ pony parts video shows them installing the eliminator but it may require the tune as well. I have 5 star already so either way.

hmgt3

Reaction score
I have that bypass switch that comes with the kit. I thought maybe I had bad connection so I tried installing it again. Same code. Easiest things to do is have a tune remove it. The check engine light was very annoying and distracting.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent in my stock file on Friday and waiting for my tunes.

I get worried reading some people's experiences with the tuning. I guess you can't have it all but I was looking for the ability to turn it up when I want some additional performance but keep it mild when I have the kids and wife in the car. What worries me is that this is my driver and I don't want to change the comfort and cruising factors. I will drive to Miami back from Orlando at least a few times a month (8hrs on highway) - using cruise control and hope it won't change that ease of driving for me.

Ideally, these flash tunes aren't something you would want to be continually changing. Can you? Absolutely. Trying all the tunes offered, settling on one for majority of your uses, and letting ecu/trans become familiar with it is your best bet. Say you were doing an event one weekend, i could see flashing to a more performance geared tune in the days prior and maybe going back after that, but a daily or even weekly change isn't something i'd recommend doing. Not so much the pita of spending the 10mins or so re-flashing/power cycling etc, but about your ecu and trans adapting/learning to something consistent.

I'd rarely offer this over a flash tune, but getting a plug n play controller, i.e. flowmaster deltaboost, afe scorcher, or equiv may make more sense if you are set on doing daily/weekly on-the-fly changes. That said once you do add one of these tunes, you will fine a nice balance of good safe power and drive-ability, and won't look back or need to change tunes. Even with perf tunes, the gen2 normal mode (not sport) its pretty tame in terms of drive-ability when not getting aggressive with pedal, which was not the case with gen1 tunes