Comms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How far are you really going to be from civilization bro?

Charge your phone.. go have fun.

...if you feel froggy though - https://www.starlink.com/
This star link tag is true. Due to the advent of this avalable for civi’s, its similar to the old Mil sat com UHF band 240-318 . Pretty much good to go anywhere in the globe you can point straight up. Garmin inreach and devices like this.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How far are you really going to be from civilization bro?

Charge your phone.. go have fun.

...if you feel froggy though - https://www.starlink.com/
Well that depends on where you live. I show city dwellers pictures of where I go and first words out of their mouths many times is "what if you break down"

So personally I can take you places extremely remote.

Next I think the comms are for vehicle to vehicle communications while off roading with others.

Not so much 911 stuff.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that depends on where you live. I show city dwellers pictures of where I go and first words out of their mouths many times is "what if you break down"

So personally I can take you places extremely remote.

Next I think the comms are for vehicle to vehicle communications while off roading with others.

Not so much 911 stuff.
Fair enough.

At any point in which I need a map and I need to radio in to people every 5 miles..... I am going to have to seriously consider good comms' and to understand the lay of the land and ensure my capabilities are up to date. I also would have to make sure my subscriptions are good with the folks who monitor radio frequencies and my license also.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This star link tag is true. Due to the advent of this avalable for civi’s, its similar to the old Mil sat com UHF band 240-318 . Pretty much good to go anywhere in the globe you can point straight up. Garmin inreach and devices like this.
Yeah dude its legit.

It reminds me of when I take my TMOBILE mobile internet box with it. I can plug that ****** into the truck and get my own secure internet boom.

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Icom 2730A in my truck modded to work on GMRS and VHF business frequencies. I don't have an amateur radio license (dont tell the feds) and it works very well for me, and it was cheaper than a lot of the options from PCI and Rugged

OP
OP
4wheelinAZ

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Icom 2730A in my truck modded to work on GMRS and VHF business frequencies. I don't have an amateur radio license (dont tell the feds) and it works very well for me, and it was cheaper than a lot of the options from PCI and Rugged
This sounds like a fantastic option. Best of both worlds?

bren5279

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also curious about this. Was looking at gmrs and uhf/vhf. Have heard mention of the baofang but was also looking at midland

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baofang is a good starter radio. I had a F8HP connected with a special adapter to connect to the antenna wire of my gj Motorsports 3rd brake light NMO mount. This way the signal doesn’t get distorted going through glass, metal, all that other stuff in your truck. A few years ago I upgraded to a 50W ICOM 2730A and love it. It has Bluetooth capabilities so I can connect a wireless headset to it and it knows when I’m talking to open up the channel. Completely hands free!

I got my HAM license because I wanted to just learn something new. While you do need a license technically there is a loophole that says you can use it if people or property is in danger. Since you’re off-roading that’s almost all the time so there’s that. #loophole Haha